ACP recognizes obesity in the U.S. population as both a public health issue and a health equity issue.
Internal medicine physicians acknowledge that there is no simple solution to the complex issues that impact this chronic condition. ACP has begun to address obesity and its many related challenges systemically and through a health equity lens, through education and advocacy, and by addressing systemic factors that influence chronic health conditions, particularly those that disproportionately impact underserved populations.
Help Support ACP’s Efforts to Advance Equitable Obesity Care
Help ACP expand on its commitment to address equity and anti-bias in obesity management.
Obesity Management Learning Hub
ACP has developed a curriculum addressing multiple aspects of patient engagement and care to assure a team-based approach to managing obesity. Resources include interactive learning modules, patient education materials, and podcasts.
Annals of Internal Medicine's Overweight and Obesity Special Collection
Annals of Internal Medicine features a comprehensive collection of articles providing valuable insights into the management, treatment, and health outcomes of obesity and overweight. To access most articles, you will need to have a subscription to the Annals of Internal Medicine.
Overweight and Obesity: Current Clinical Challenges
ACP/Annals of Internal Medicine Virtual Forum
In March 2023, Annals of Internal Medicine and the American College of Physicians assembled an astute panel of experts to discuss current clinical challenges in the care of persons with overweight and obesity. ACP Members and Annals of Internal Medicine subscribers can read a detailed summary of the event, as well as watch an on-demand recording.
ACP Public Policy Papers & Advocacy Efforts
- Strengthening Food and Nutrition Security to Promote Public Health in the United States
- Addressing Social Determinants to Improve Patient Care and Promote Health Equity
- Understanding and Addressing Disparities and Discrimination for Populations at Highest Risk
- ACP Continues Advocacy in Health Equity and Nondiscrimination
- 2023 Letter Recommending Against an Obesity-Related Performance Measure (pg. 48)
- Bridging Health Equity Gaps for People with Disabilities and Chronic Conditions
- Joint letter Advocating for Funding for CDC’s Social Determinants of Health Program
ACP App Library: Mobile Weight Management Applications
ACP collaborated with ORCHA to create the ACP App Library, designed to identify the most safe, secure and effective mobile health apps to help monitor and manage health, including weight management.