Beginner and advanced medical coding resources, including member exclusive content and ACP's Coding for Clinicians subscription series.
Improve your coding skills to represent the true complexity of your patient care and secure appropriate compensation for your professional services with ACP coding resources.
Get the most out of ACP's coding resource suite by subscribing to ACP Coding for Clinicians, providing interactive learning modules to help you code smarter and ensure maximum payment. CME/MOC available.
Coding for POCUS New
Learn the requirements to appropriately bill for point-of-care ultrasound (POCUS) services, review commonly reported CPT codes and modifiers, and identify key strategies to streamline POCUS billing.
Diagnosis Coding and Core Knowledge
Learn about the diagnosis and service coding systems used by all billing clinicians.
- The Relationship Between ACP and Other Specialty Societies Serving on the RUC ACP Member Exclusive
- How Codes Are Valued at the RUC ACP Member Exclusive
- How CPT Codes are Developed: Overview of the CPT Process, Code Applications, and Criteria ACP Member Exclusive
Hierarchical Condition Categories and Value-Based Payment
Succeed in value-based payment programs by coding more accurate diagnoses and capturing hierarchical condition categories (HCCs).
- Coding for Social Drivers of Health ACP Member Exclusive
- Succeeding in Value-Based Payment Subscribers Only
- Hierarchical Condition Category (HCC) Coding: What’s in it for me? Subscribers Only
- Informational Webinar on Value-Based Payments ACP Member Exclusive
- HCC Coding: What Is It and Why Is It Important? ACP Member Exclusive
Inpatient & Observation Evaluation and Management
Updated with 2023 guidance! Properly report initial hospital day codes 99221-99223 and subsequent hospital day codes 99231-99233.
Inpatient & Observation Special Topics
Updated with 2023 guidance! Select same day admission and discharge codes 99234-99236, hospital discharge day codes 99238 and 99239, critical care codes 99291 and 99292, ventilator management codes 94002-94004, inpatient prolonged service code 99418, and consultation codes 99242-99245 and 99252-99255.
Pediatric Inpatient Care
Select neonatal care codes 99460-99469, delivery room service codes 99464 and 99465, neonatal and pediatric critical care codes 99471-99476, neonatal intensive care codes 99477-99480, critical care time codes 99291 and 99292, and common separable procedure codes.
Select outpatient service codes 99202-99205 and 99211-99215 using the new 2021 guidelines.
Guidance and Tools
- Outpatient Services Codes (for web viewing) ACP Member Exclusive
- Outpatient Services Codes (for printing*) ACP Member Exclusive
- *Print double-sided to create a trifold pocket guide
- Primary Care Do’s and Don’ts for Clinical Documentation
- Medical Specialty Do’s and Don’ts for Clinical Documentation
Outpatient Prolonged Services
Properly report adult preventive medicine visits codes 99385-99387 and 99395-99397, well-child service codes 99381-99384 and 99391-99394, the “Welcome to Medicare” visit codes G0402-G0405, Medicare Annual Wellness Visits codes G0438-G0439, advance care planning codes 99497 and 99498, and modifier -33.
Concurrent Procedures and E/M Services
Capture all components of a multi-service visit by properly reporting code 99024 and modifiers -50, -51, -57, -24, and -25.
Guidance and Tools
- Service and Diagnosis Codes for Common Dermatologic Procedures ACP Member Exclusive
Concurrent Preventive and E/M Services
Represent the complexity of preventive services through use of modifiers -25 and –33 and by reporting substance use counseling codes 99406-99409, advance care planning codes 99497 and 99498, intensive behavioral therapy for obesity code G0447, pediatric clinical assessment codes 96110 and 96127, and pediatric health risk assessment codes 96160 and 96161.
Guidance for Teachers, Residents, and Students
Teach and code with confidence in both inpatient and outpatient settings. Learn federal guidance for documentation and supervision of care provided with medical students and residents, modifier -GC, primary care exception modifier -GE, and moonlighting regulations.
Chronic and Transitional Care Management
Correctly capture revenue for longitudinal team care of complex patients using Remote Physiologic Monitoring codes, Chronic Care Management codes, and Transitional Care Management codes.
Guidance and Tools
- Chronic Care Management (CCM)
- Toolkit ACP Member Exclusive
ACP Advocacy to Improve Physician Payment
Learn about ACP’s advocacy focused on improving physician payment and the RVS Update Committee (RUC) process in which ACP participates to help develop relative value recommendations for codes.
- Physician Fee Schedule and Quality Payment Program
- ACP Comments on Proposed 2024 Physician Fee Schedule, Medicare Shared Savings Program, and Quality Payment Program Rule
- ACP Summary of Proposed 2024 Physician Fee Schedule, Medicare Shared Savings Program, and Quality Payment Program Rule ACP Member Exclusive
- ACP recommendations reflected in positive CMS 2022 Physician Fee Schedule changes and in new federal programs
- Summary of 2023 Medicare Physician Fee Schedule and Quality Payment Program Proposed Rule ACP Member Exclusive
- Read ACP’s Comments on 2023 Proposed Physician Fee Schedule & Quality Payment Program Rule
- Evaluation and Management
- Understanding the RUC and CPT Process