You are here
Beginning and advanced medical coding resources for physicians and office staff, including resources pertaining to ICD-10 billing codes, videos, forms, and tools.
- New E&M Coding Implementation Check List (login required)
- Summary of 2021 E/M Changes
- Evaluation and Management Service Codes: Selecting and Documenting Appropriate Levels for Office or Other Outpatient Services (login required) - This document describes how to use the E/M codes (MDM vs time) as well as prolonged services and payment allowances for COVID-19 vaccinations
- Evaluation and Management Service Codes: Selecting and Documenting Appropriate Levels of Service - This coding card has been updated to include new E/M coding rules, telehealth, chronic care, preventive and other outpatient service codes. (Revised April 2021)
- 2021 Office E/M Coding Changes Voiceover Presentation (login required)- This 16-min video explains how E/M coding changed in 2021 and walks through how to code using MDM vs time at each level, including examples.
- Summary of Physician Fee Schedule Proposed Rule 2021
- COVID-19 Diagnosis and Testing Codes
- Telehealth Coding and Billing Guidance
- E&M Documentation by Ancillary Staff (beginning 2019)
- Advanced Care Planning
- Coding 201 Video (14:27): This recording provides an overview of code development and the CPT and RUC process.
- Medically Unlikely and Correct Coding Initiative Edits
- 2013 Changes in Application of Medically Unlikely Edits
- Transitional Care Management (TCM) Codes
- Chronic Care Management Tool Kit
- CMS' Chronic Care Management Services Fact Sheet
- Coding and Billing for Internists' Services: Challenges and Opportunities
Tools and Forms
- Coding for Internists: The Basics (login required)
- How to Complete a Coding Audit
- Patient Care Documentation Forms
- Billing & Coding Adult Immunizations
- Understanding the RUC Survey
- Template for Physician Letter for Pre-Existing Condition Insurance Plan (PCIP)
- Clinical Chart Abstraction Tool
Medicare Web-Based Education Tools
- CMS Provider Minutes These short video tips can help practices properly submit claims with sufficient documentation in order to receive correct payment the first time.
- CMS Web-based Training (WBT) Courses Includes documents and quizzes on topics such as medical coding and billing, avoiding fraud and abuse, and more. Courses may be started and continued at any time. CME credit provided for on-line format courses. Under "Related Links" click "Web-Based Training (WBT) Courses" to register and access site.
- Where We Stand: Medicare Issues and Health Plan Insurance Regulations