You are here
Requirements for Advancing to Fellowship
All applicants must meet the basic eligibility requirements for Fellowship. These include:
- Being an ACP member (Resident/Fellow Member or Member) in good standing for three years since completion of residency training
- Dues must have been paid in full for the three consecutive years (including the current membership year) immediately prior to applying for Fellowship. Check dues status.*
- Certification in internal medicine or neurology
- Professional activity in internal medicine, a combined internal medicine specialty, the subspecialties of internal medicine, or neurology
- Experience in practice or in an academic position for three years since the completion of residency
- An active medical license in good standing (if in clinical practice)
- Continuing professional development and scholarly activities, including continuing medical education as a student or teacher
- Teaching (institutional and community-based), hospital committee work, and/or volunteer and community service, especially in the voluntary provision of medical care
In addition to the basic requirements, candidates for advancement to Fellowship should demonstrate activity within one or several of the following areas of professional accomplishment:
- Publications: Applicants who wish to have their publications included in determining eligibility must include a bibliography of published articles since the completion of training. Peer-reviewed journals are given more weight.
- Continuing Medical Education (CME): Candidates must indicate how many CME hours they have completed over the past three years. If they have not completed CME hours they must indicate that as well.
- Additional Educational Activities: Include subspecialty certification, recertification, advanced degrees, certificates in special competence, participation in the Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program® (MKSAP) for CME credit.
- Teaching Activities: Community hospital, office-based, institutional or other.
- Leadership Activities: Demonstrate where you are actively influencing the outcomes within your professional work setting or community. For example, in your role as a Medical Director, hospital committee chair or participant, activities in health advocacy, quality improvement initiatives and/or medical volunteerism.
- ACP Activities: Fellowship is a class of membership, and although not a requirement of attaining it, active ACP participation is valued. Indicate involvement in a local or national ACP-related activity such as attending an ACP meeting (local or national), role as faculty at a meeting or course, and ACP committee participation.
Questions about eligibility requirements should be e-mailed to FACP@acponline.org.
*If elected to Fellowship while a Resident/Fellow Member and in fellowship training, you will be charged full membership dues.