Functions of the Council of Subspecialty Societies (CSS) include:
- Develop a close working relationship among the subspecialty societies and ACP.
- Initiate and influence policy proposals of ACP.
- Identify issues germane to internal medicine and its subspecialties that, through actions of the CSS, will improve health, the quality of medical care and enhance the practice of medicine.
- Generate, exchange and disseminate information and ideas related to internal medicine.
- Function as a forum to discuss education and scientific research issues, as well as legislative and regulatory activities that affect internal medicine and the member subspecialty societies.
The societies presently represented on the Council are:
American Academy of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
American Academy of Neurology
American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases
American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists
American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology
American College of Cardiology
American College of Chest Physicians
American College of Gastroenterology
American College of Rheumatology
American Gastroenterological Association
American Geriatrics Society
American Medical Society for Sports Medicine
American Society of Clinical Oncology
American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
American Society of Hematology
American Society of Nephrology
American Society of Transplantation and Cellular Therapy
American Thoracic Society
Gerontological Society of America
Infectious Disease Society of America
Renal Physicians Association
Society for Adolescent Medicine
Society of Critical Care Medicine
Ex-Officio members include:
Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine
American Board of Internal Medicine
Society of General Internal Medicine
Society of Hospital Medicine
The ACP President and the BOR Chair are ACP representatives to the CSS.
Chair and Vice-Chair each serve a two-year term, renewable once for a maximum of four years for each position. Member terms are three-years, renewable at the discretion of the representative's organization.
Staff Liaison: Brian Outland, Boutland@acponline.org