You are here
Public Policy & Advocacy
Interested in Health Care reform? Want to make a difference at the national level?
Join the New Mexico Chapter of the American College of Physicians at Leadership Day 2022 in Washington, DC, May 17-18, 2022, at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel.
This event provides an opportunity for ACP and our members to increase our presence in Washington and bring visibility to issues of common concern. Participants receive a comprehensive orientation and briefing on ACP's top legislative priorities and then have an opportunity to meet with legislators and the staff on Capitol Hill.
The New Mexico Chapter is sponsoring members to attend. Attendees will receive up to $1000 travel stipends for up to four attendees.To enter please submit your response (500 words or less) to the following: "Why is physician advocacy important to you? What do you hope to accomplish by attending ACP Leadership Day?"
Essays should be submitted no later than Friday, April 1, 2022.
Submission Link HERE
General information regarding Leadership Day 2022 can be found HERE *Medical Student Members feel free to send to other students who may be interested. ACP Student Membership is FREE. Click HERE for more information.
ACP Leadership Day on Capitol Hill
Leadership Day is the College’s annual two-day advocacy event that enables our members from across the country to bring our issues of concern to U.S. lawmakers. This is a great opportunity for the College and our members to bring our policy priorities to Congress and try to influence the legislative process on behalf of internal medicine.
How can you benefit from Leadership Day?
In addition to having an opportunity to meet with your legislators and staff in Washington, DC, participants are provided with in-depth briefings from White House officials, Capitol Hill staffers, and members of Congress; all of whom are among the top health care decision makers.
Participants will also:
- Receive a comprehensive orientation on ACP’s top legislative priorities.
- Earn Continuing Medical Education (CME) credits.
- Learn advocacy skills that can be utilized back home.
- Meet other internists who care about advocacy, including colleagues from your own state.
- Learn about policy issues that impact your profession and your ability to provide quality care.
- Get to know ACP leaders and staff.
- Socialize and have a great time!
ACP Advocacy Resources
Where the College Stands on key health policy issues, news and recent policy changes.
Visit Legislative Action Center for more information about the new Advocates for Internal Medicine Network (AIMn) and the Richard Neubauer Advocate for Internal Medicine Award.
- The ACP Advocate - a bi-weekly e-newsletter that provides ACP members with news about public policy issues affecting internal medicine and patient care.
- Electronic Resolution System - find Chapter Sponsored Resolutions
- Member Advocacy - other resources to help members advocate ACP policy
- The Policy Library - a repository of ACP's current and historic policies and the Policy Compendium