You are here
Curriculum for Educators and Residents Version 3.0
The High Value Care Curriculum (HVC) has been jointly developed by ACP and the Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine (AAIM) in an effort to train physicians to be good stewards of limited healthcare resources.
The curriculum can be completed in six hours and includes audio/video content and a robust program director toolbox to help program directors measure curricular impact and individual resident performance in high value care.
You may download individual Curriculum materials below, as well as the Curriculum Overview.
You may also download a .zip file that contains all of the materials.
Access is free.
1. Eliminating Healthcare Waste and Over-ordering of Tests
2. Healthcare Costs and Payment Models
3. High Value Diagnostic Testing and Cancer Screening
4. High Value Hospitalization
5. Overcoming Barriers to High Value Care
6. High Value Quality Improvement
This toolbox includes a retrospective, pre-post survey that you can ask your residents to complete to assess the effectiveness of the curriculum. In addition, tools to help faculty and program directors assess competence in high value care milestones are provided. Examples include a high value care educational prescription, a framework for fellow audit and feedback in high value care, a high value care conversation guide, and a tool to assess high value care teaching on rounds.
- Assessing HVC Milestones
- Sample Resident Evaluation Form HVC Milestones
- HVC Curriculum Impact Survey
- HVC Educational Prescription
- HVC Audit and Feedback
- HVC Critical Appraisal Economic Analysis
- HVC Presentation #6 Sample HVC QI Slideshow
- HVC Presentation #6 Teachable Moments JAMA Internal Medicine
- HVC Presentation #6 Sample HVC QI Poster
- HVC Presentation #6 Sample 2 HVC QI Poster
- HVC Presentation #6 Sample HVC QI Report
Provide feedback on the curriculum or to share your quality improvement presentations by contacting Daisy Smith at email@example.com.
Lead Curriculum Authors
- Donna Williams, MD, Assistant Professor, UC Davis Medical Center
- Timothy Dempsey, MD, MPH, Internal Medicine Resident, PGY-2, UC Davis Health System
- ACP Staff: Cynthia D. Smith,MD, FACP, Director, Clinical Programs Development, ACP
To access the previous version of the curriculum, please go to the Curriculum Archive.