You are here
Public Policy & Advocacy
Nationally, the American College of Physicians continues robust advocacy for our patients and our profession. One big win in 2020 was the revision of E&M coding and documentation requirements as well as increased payment under Medicare which went into effect on January 1, 2021. The ACP Advocacy Team was also very active in many aspects of legislative action taken to address the COVID-19 pandemic.
Locally, our state Health and Public Policy Committee is monitoring the current state legislative session for bills relevant to the care of patients in our state. As always, I would encourage our members to be in contact with your lawmakers at the local and state levels to be a resource they might call upon when an issue related to health care arises.
I am sending my sincere thanks for all your work across our state.
Kelly Evans-Hullinger, MD, FACP
Chair, South Dakota Chapter Health and Public Policy Committee
ACP Leadership Day on Capitol Hill
Leadership Day is the College’s annual two-day advocacy event that enables our members from across the country to bring our issues of concern to U.S. lawmakers. This is a great opportunity for the College and our members to bring our policy priorities to Congress and try to influence the legislative process on behalf of internal medicine.
How can you benefit from Leadership Day?
In addition to having an opportunity to meet with your legislators and staff in Washington, DC, participants are provided with in-depth briefings from White House officials, Capitol Hill staffers, and members of Congress; all of whom are among the top health care decision makers.
Participants will also:
- Receive a comprehensive orientation on ACP’s top legislative priorities.
- Earn Continuing Medical Education (CME) credits.
- Learn advocacy skills that can be utilized back home.
- Meet other internists who care about advocacy, including colleagues from your own state.
- Learn about policy issues that impact your profession and your ability to provide quality care.
- Get to know ACP leaders and staff.
- Socialize and have a great time!
ACP Advocacy Resources
Where the College Stands on key health policy issues, news and recent policy changes.
Visit Legislative Action Center for more information about the new Advocates for Internal Medicine Network (AIMn) and the Richard Neubauer Advocate for Internal Medicine Award.
- The ACP Advocate - bi-weekly, e-newsletter created to provide ACP members with news about public policy issues affecting internal medicine and patient care
- Electronic Resolution System - find Chapter Sponsored Resolutions
- Member Advocacy - other resources to help members advocate ACP policy
- The Policy Library - a repository of ACP's current and historic policies and the Policy Compendium