You are here
Incoming Chair, Board of Regents ACP, Sue S. Bornstein, MD, FACP, discusses forming long-term relationships with patients and helping them navigate the health care system
Sue S. Bornstein, MD, FACP
Executive Director, Texas Medical Home Initiative, Dallas, Texas
— MEDICAL SCHOOL —
Texas Tech Health Sciences Center, Lubbock, Texas
— RESIDENCY —
Baylor University Medical Center, Dallas, Texas
1. I was born and raised in … Dallas, Texas.
2. As a child I was … busy!
3. I decided to be a doctor … after 10 years as a health care administrator.
4. The person(s) who influenced me the most … my father, David, who was an internist.
5. I chose internal medicine because … my father helped me see that there's no such thing as a routine day in internal medicine. You never know what the day may bring in terms of diagnostic challenges.
6. What I find most rewarding about my career is … the opportunity to form long-term relationships with people and help them navigate through the health care system.
7. I joined ACP because … ACP represents the highest ideals of including scholarship, altruism, and advocacy.
8. An award or achievement I am proud of is … that I was recognized by my peers and faculty with the Gold Headed Cane Award as a graduating senior.
9. My advice to medical students is … to do what you love. Pursue your passion.
10. I like people who … are positive and have a good sense of humor.
11. My family includes … my spouse, Alex; our dog, Emma; my sister and brother-in-law; my three precious nieces; and three great-nephews and one great-niece.
12. My interests/hobbies are … many! I love spending time in the outdoors. I am an avid fly angler with a passion for saltwater. I am a very amateur birdwatcher. I've done some distance open-water swimming but now mainly stick to the pool.
13. If I had the time, I would like to learn … to perfect my pizza game!
14. I enjoy listening to … 60s/70s music (the best era!), soul music, and opera.
15. I enjoy watching … food and cooking shows.
16. My idea of a great vacation is … in a warm, sunny place with great saltwater fishing. And great food and drink.
17. Something others may not know about me is … I took accordion lessons from age 8 until I rebelled in my teen years.
18. If I could be anything other than a physician I would be … a farmer.
19. A person I greatly admire is/was … the late U.S. Representative and fellow Texan Barbara Jordan.