A free electronic evaluation form for use on a desktop computer and/or mobile device to help the preceptor record and track simple assessments of learner performance over time.
Microsoft Excel (required) and, optionally, for mobile device-based data entry, DocumentsToGo, Microsoft Pocket Excel or Excel Mobile, or some other program that allows you to synchronize Excel files between your desktop computer and your mobile device.
- Download the learner-evaluation.xls file to your computer and save it to your hard drive in a location that you’ll remember, e.g., C:/Program Files/ACP/.
- Make as many copies of the file as you have learners that you wish to evaluate and rename the files with their names or some other identifying characteristic, e.g.,
- When you observe a learner, open his or her file and click the Learner Ratings tab. For each encounter, enter ratings for the learner in each category, based on the scale defined on the first tab. Optionally, add notes about the encounter in the Comments column. See below for instructions on using your mobile device to perform this step.*
- To review progress over time, click the Charts tab to see plots of the ratings over time (encounters), means of ratings, and a radar plot showing relative mean ratings across all categories to help identify areas to target for improvement.
- Add notes and information about the learner if you wish and then select File, Print to print a 4-page summary (charts)
*Procedure (using a mobile/PDA device for data entry):
To use a mobile/PDA device for data entry, perform the following steps either in place of or in conjunction with Step 3 above.
- Using DocumentsToGo, Microsoft Pocket Excel or Excel Mobile, or some other program that allows you to synchronize Excel files between your desktop computer and your mobile device, synchronize all of the copies of your Excel files (see Step 2 above) to your device.
- On your device, open your mobile Excel file, click the Learner Ratings tab, and enter ratings for each learner in each category, based on the scale defined on the first tab.
- At the end of each day (or at some other convenient time), synchronize your device so the copies of your Excel files are updated on your desktop computer.