Public Policy & Advocacy
2024 Health Policy Internship Application Cycle Now Open!
Deadline: October 31, 2023
ACP is now accepting applications from medical students and residents for the 2024 Health Policy Internship Program, which will take place April 29 through May 23, 2024. The ACP Health Policy Internship provides a multifaceted opportunity to learn about the legislative process, health policy, and advocacy in organized medicine.
One resident/fellow and one medical student will be selected to work in ACP’s Washington, DC office with governmental affairs and public policy staff. We encourage you to share this opportunity with any students and residents who may be interested. The application closes on October 31, 2023. For more information about the program, please visit the Health Policy Internship Program page or contact Josh Serchen at email@example.com with any questions.
ACP Leadership Day on Capitol Hill
Leadership Day is the College’s annual two-day advocacy event that enables our members from across the country to bring our issues of concern to U.S. lawmakers. This is a great opportunity for the College and our members to bring our policy priorities to Congress and try to influence the legislative process on behalf of internal medicine.
How can you benefit from Leadership Day?
In addition to having an opportunity to meet with your legislators and staff in Washington, DC, participants are provided with in-depth briefings from White House officials, Capitol Hill staffers, and members of Congress; all of whom are among the top health care decision makers.
Participants will also:
- Receive a comprehensive orientation on ACP’s top legislative priorities.
- Earn Continuing Medical Education (CME) credits.
- Learn advocacy skills that can be utilized back home.
- Meet other internists who care about advocacy, including colleagues from your own state.
- Learn about policy issues that impact your profession and your ability to provide quality care.
- Get to know ACP leaders and staff.
- Socialize and have a great time!
ACP Advocacy Resources
Where the College Stands on key health policy issues, news and recent policy changes.
Visit Legislative Action Center for more information about the new Advocates for Internal Medicine Network (AIMn) and the Richard Neubauer Advocate for Internal Medicine Award.
- The ACP Advocate - a bi-weekly e-newsletter that provides ACP members with news about public policy issues affecting internal medicine and patient care.
- ACP Board of Governors Resolution Guide for ACP Members - describes the purpose of and process for initiating a resolution. A how-to on drafting a resolution that allows members to shape ACP policy that impacts the practice of internal medicine.
- Electronic Resolution System - find Chapter Sponsored Resolutions
- Member Advocacy - other resources to help members advocate ACP policy
- The Policy Library - a repository of ACP's current and historic policies and the Policy Compendium