You are here
Individual Physician Wellness and Burnout Tools
Use this collection of Podcasts, TED Talks, blogs, apps, and more to take a deeper dive into improving your personal well-being and professional satisfaction.
CME-Eligible Activities, TED Talks, Podcasts and Webinars
- CME-eligible Physician Well-being Activities - A complete listing of all the physician well-being activities offering CME credits.
- Building Your Resilient Self - This free webinar led by Gail Gazelle, MD, FACP, FAAHPM, executive coach for physicians and physician leaders, teaches how to build resilience in your life and in your practice.
- Medical Student Well-being: Don’t Forget About Us - In this playback webinar, Micah Beachy, DO, FACP, discusses the importance of well-being for medical students and shares strategies for how to maintain it while in school and throughout training. Q&A follows.
- Brene Brown: Listening to Shame: https://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_listening_to_shame
- Atul Gawande: How We Heal Medicine: https://www.ted.com/speakers/atul_gawande_1
- Shawn Achor: The Happy Secret to Better Work: https://www.ted.com/speakers/shawn_achor
- Brian Goldman: Doctors make mistakes: https://www.ted.com/speakers/brian_goldman
- Suzie Brown: Concert of melody & medicine: http://www.tedmed.com/speakers/show?id=526396
- http://thedoctorparadox.com/podcast-2/ – The Doctor Paradox is a podcast series addressing “why despite having incredibly meaningful jobs, doctors are increasingly unhappy in their work”
- http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/on-fire/ “Souls on Fire: Narratives that Inspire” produced by McMaster Institute for Innovation and Excellence in Teaching and Learning
- Finding Joy in Medicine. Cheng C and Greenhalgh S. https://vimeo.com/139548591
- Mindfulness in Medicine. Horwitch C. https://vimeo.com/117306069
- Negotiating Skills. Aiyer, M. and S. Rusch https://vimeo.com/89541011
- Sustainable Leadership. O’Malley C, Hingle S. https://vimeo.com/40241496
- Time Management for Leaders. Jokela, J. https://vimeo.com/35013659
- Just Show Up, Sheryl Sandberg on how to help someone who is grieving:
- Professional Health and Wellness Mini-Portfolio - This portfolio features four 10-minute micro skills that promote self-care and professional health and wellness.
- http://www.ishiprograms.org/about/ – The Institute for the Study of Health and Illness (ISHI) provides education and support for health professionals who aspire to practice a medicine of service, human connection, and compassionate healing
- http://ephysicianhealth.com/ – The world’s first comprehensive, online physician health and wellness resource that helps physicians, residents, and medical students be resilient in their professional and personal lives.
- http://scpmgphysicianwellness.kaiserpermanente.org/ – Kaiser program for Physician Wellness
- http://cmbm.org/ – Center for Mind-Body Medicine – access to evidence-based strategies for relieving stress and promoting wellness
- DIMENSIONS: Work & Well-Being Toolkit for Physicians. Morris CW, Richey, RM, Martin LF, Morris CD. https://www.bhwellness.org/toolkits/Work-and-Well-Being-Toolkit-for-Physicians.pdf
- http://wellmd.stanford.edu/ – Stanford School of Medicine website to promote physician health and resiliency.
- http://www.thehappymd.com/ – Dike Drummond’s website about physician burnout and solutions
- Compendium of Mind-Body Resources and Tools https://mind-bodyhealth.osu.edu
- Self-Care https://cmbm.org/self-care/
- Mindful Practice https://www.urmc.rochester.edu/family-medicine/mindful-practice/curricula-materials/audios.aspx
- Guided Meditation http://www.meditationoasis.com/podcast/
- Self-Compassion http://self-compassion.org/resources-2/
Mini But Mighty Skills for Well-being
Applicable for systems, organizations, and individuals, learn actionable well-being skills through micro-learnings (10-15 minutes) that meet clinicians’ just-in-time and ongoing change needs.
- Provider Resilience (Free) http://t2health.dcoe.mil/apps/provider-resilience
- Breathe2Relax (Free) http://t2health.dcoe.mil/apps/breathe2relax
- Virtual Hope Box (Free) http://t2health.dcoe.mil/apps/virtual-hope-box
- T2 Mood Tracker (Free) http://t2health.dcoe.mil/apps/t2-mood-tracker
- Life Armor (Free) http://t2health.dcoe.mil/apps/lifearmor
- Take a Break! (Free) https://www.meditationoasis.com/apps/
- Insight Timer (Free) (also contains meditations about grief) https://insighttimer.com/meditation-app
- Parenting2Go (Free) http://t2health.dcoe.mil/apps/Parenting2Go
- The Happy MD ($9.99) https://support.thehappymd.com/burnout-proof-app
- Headspace (free 10 day trial) http://www.headspace.com
- Buddify ($2.99 - Android app) http://buddhify.com/
Medical Humanism Blogs
- Klass, P. Taking care of the physician. New York Times. November 13, 2017. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/13/well/family/taking-care-of-the-physician.html
- Pryor, L. Doctors are human too. New York Times. April 21, 2017. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/21/opinion/doctors-are-human-too.html
- Sinha, P. Why do doctors commit suicide? New York Times. Sept 4, 2014. https://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/05/opinion/why-do-doctors-commit-suicide.html
- NZ doctor’s Hippocratic Oath change passed. Radionz. 2017. http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/world/341592/nz-doctor-s-hippocratic-oath-change-passed