You are here
ACP National Abstract Competitions
Medical Students, Resident/Fellows, and Early Career Physicians who are ACP Members are invited to submit an abstract for the National Abstract Competitions.
- Submission portal will open on October 2, 2017
- The top scoring abstracts will be invited to present at Internal Medicine Meeting 2018 in New Orleans, LA
- Guide to Preparing for the Abstract Competition
- Review the FAQs
RFM Clinical Vignette Abstract Competition
The deadline has been extended to Monday, November 27, 11:59 PM EST.
You will need your ACP username and password to submit an abstract.
- Basic Research
- Clinical Research
- Quality Improvement-Patient Safety
- High Value Care
- Clinical Vignette
To improve human health, scientific discoveries must be translated into practical applications. Such discoveries typically begin at the bench with basic research—in which scientists study disease at a molecular or cellular level.
Patient-oriented research. Research conducted with human subjects (or on material of human origin such as tissues, specimens and cognitive phenomena) for which an investigator (or colleague) directly interacts with human subjects. This area of research includes: mechanisms of human disease; therapeutic interventions; clinical trials; development of new technologies; analysis of existing datasets; epidemiologic and behavioral studies; outcomes research and health services research.
Quality Improvement-Patient Safety
Submissions can report on efforts to improve patient safety or outcomes measurement. Such efforts may be projects developed and initiated to promote patient safety and/or processes that have improved or created a safer environment for patients. Abstracts may also be submitted that relate to the use of outcome data, how to measure and convert data into information.
High Value Care
Projects that focus on: reducing waste in the system (unnecessary testing and treatment or inappropriate setting for care), minimizing harms (radiation exposure, medication side effects), or improving patient care through communication (incorporating patient values and concerns into care plans).
A clinical vignette is a report of one or more cases that illustrates a new disease entity, or a prominent or unusual clinical feature of an established disease. It may include a summary of pertinent patient history, physical findings, laboratory data, or management description.
- Original abstracts that either have or have not been presented at other meetings including ACP Chapters/Regions will be considered.
- Abstracts previously submitted to the National Meeting are not eligible and are subject to disqualification.
- Presentation of original work at the ACP meeting may, however, jeopardize presentation before another society.
- Abstracts are eligible if they have been published; however, abstracts based upon full papers that have been published are not eligible.
National Winners & Finalists
Local Abstract Competitions
The purpose of publishing these abstract books are to highlight the Residents and Medical Students' research and offer an platform for presenting their work in a formal setting before peers, faculty, researchers and educators.
- Rhode Island Abstract Submissions - May 2017
- Colorado Chapter Abstract Submissions - February 2015
- Army Chapter Abstract Submissions - December 2014