You are here
ACP National Abstract Competitions
Medical Students, Resident/Fellows, and Early Career Physicians who are ACP members are eligible to participate in the National Abstract Competitions.
Log in to the Abstracts Portal to enter the 2022 ACP National Abstract Competitions.
Due to a technical malfunction the abstracts portal will remain open for submissions until December 1, 11:59 PM ET.
You will need your ACP username and password
In accordance with ACP’s COVID-19 Vaccine Policy, all in-person attendees for the Internal Medicine Meeting 2022 in Chicago are required to have received an acceptable COVID-19 vaccination.
- Basic Research
- Clinical Research
- Quality Improvement-Patient Safety
- High Value Care
- Clinical Vignette
To improve human health, scientific discoveries must be translated into practical applications. Such discoveries typically begin at the bench with basic research—in which scientists study disease at a molecular or cellular level.
Patient-oriented research. Research conducted with human subjects (or on material of human origin such as tissues, specimens and cognitive phenomena) for which an investigator (or colleague) directly interacts with human subjects. This area of research includes: mechanisms of human disease; therapeutic interventions; clinical trials; development of new technologies; analysis of existing datasets; epidemiologic and behavioral studies; outcomes research and health services research.
Quality Improvement-Patient Safety
Submissions can report on efforts to improve patient safety or outcomes measurement. Such efforts may be projects developed and initiated to promote patient safety and/or processes that have improved or created a safer environment for patients. Abstracts may also be submitted that relate to the use of outcome data, how to measure and convert data into information.
High Value Care
Projects that focus on: reducing waste in the system (unnecessary testing and treatment or inappropriate setting for care), minimizing harms (radiation exposure, medication side effects), or improving patient care through communication (incorporating patient values and concerns into care plans).
A clinical vignette is a report of one or more cases that illustrates a new disease entity, or a prominent or unusual clinical feature of an established disease. It may include a summary of pertinent patient history, physical findings, laboratory data, or management description.
- Original abstracts that either have or have not been presented at other meetings including ACP Chapters/Regions will be considered.
- Abstracts previously submitted to the National Meeting are not eligible and are subject to disqualification.
- Presentation of original work at the ACP meeting may, however, jeopardize presentation before another society.
- Abstracts are eligible if they have been published; however, abstracts based upon full papers that have been published are not eligible.
National Competition Time Line
Abstracts Portal Opens
October 4, 2021
Deadline for Submissions
Varies by Category See Full Details
Abstract Review Period
December 2021 - January 2022
On or before February 4, 2022
ACP Oral Presentations and Poster Competitions Judging
April 28 – 30, 2022
Abstract Competition Deadlines
- Medical Student Clinical Vignette & Research Deadline - Tuesday, November 30, 2021
- Resident/Fellow Clinical Vignette Deadline - The Tuesday, November 16, 2021 deadline has been extended to Tuesday, November 23, 11:59 PM EST
- Resident/Fellow Research Deadline - Tuesday, November 30, 2021
- Early Career Clinical Vignette & Research Deadline - Tuesday, November 30, 2021
Abstract Competition Results Notifications
- Medical Student Clinical Vignette & Research Notifications – February 4, 2022
- Resident/Fellow Clinical Vignette & Research Notifications - February 4, 2022
- Early Career Clinical Vignette & Research Notifications - February 4, 2022
2021 Virtual ePoster Competition
The American College of Physicians is pleased to announce the winners of the 2021 National Virtual e-Poster Competitions.
- 2021 Medical Student ePoster Winners
- 2021 Resident/Fellow Members - Clinical Vignette ePoster Winners
- 2021 Resident/Fellow Members - Research ePoster Winners
- 2021 Early Career ePoster Winners
2021 Virtual Presentations for Winning Abstracts
ACP is pleased to provide a virtual presentation opportunity for all winning abstracts originally selected for an oral Podium Presentation. View the winning presentations:
2021 Virtual ePoster Competition
ACP will host a virtual ePoster Competitions for all abstracts originally selected for the poster competitions. Winners will be announced on May 14, 2021, during the Future I.M. Experience at the Town Hall with ACP Leadership.