You are here
ACP National Abstract Competitions
Medical Students, Resident/Fellows, and Early Career Physicians who are ACP members are eligible to participate in the National Abstract Competitions.
The ACP will begin accepting abstract submissions for the 2023 Competitions on October 3, 2022. Please check back for a link to the abstracts portal.
- Basic Research
- Clinical Research
- Quality Improvement-Patient Safety
- High Value Care
- Physician Well-being and Professional Fulfillment
- Clinical Vignette
To improve human health, scientific discoveries must be translated into practical applications. Such discoveries typically begin at the bench with basic research—in which scientists study disease at a molecular or cellular level.
Patient-oriented research. Research conducted with human subjects (or on material of human origin such as tissues, specimens and cognitive phenomena) for which an investigator (or colleague) directly interacts with human subjects. This area of research includes: mechanisms of human disease; therapeutic interventions; clinical trials; development of new technologies; analysis of existing datasets; epidemiologic and behavioral studies; outcomes research and health services research.
Quality Improvement-Patient Safety
Submissions can report on efforts to improve patient safety or outcomes measurement. Such efforts may be projects developed and initiated to promote patient safety and/or processes that have improved or created a safer environment for patients. Abstracts may also be submitted that relate to the use of outcome data, how to measure and convert data into information.
High Value Care
Projects that focus on: reducing waste in the system (unnecessary testing and treatment or inappropriate setting for care), minimizing harms (radiation exposure, medication side effects), or improving patient care through communication (incorporating patient values and concerns into care plans).
Physician Well-being and Professional Fulfillment
A project or initiative focused on improving physician well-being and/or the practice/training environment. Projects may focus on improving practice culture; creating more positive learning environments; addressing mental health and stigma; reducing burdens that contribute to burnout, etc. Submission should demonstrate a measurable impact on physicians within your practice, chapter, program, or health system.
A clinical vignette is a report of one or more cases that illustrates a new disease entity, or a prominent or unusual clinical feature of an established disease. It may include a summary of pertinent patient history, physical findings, laboratory data, or management description.
National Competition Time Line
Abstracts Portal Opens
October 3, 2022
Deadline for Submissions
Varies by Category See Full Details
Abstract Review Period
December 2022 - January 2023
On or before February 6, 2023
ACP Oral Presentations and Poster Competitions Judging
April 27 – 29, 2023
Abstract Competition Deadlines
- Medical Student Clinical Vignette & Research Deadline - Wednesday, November 30, 2022
- Resident/Fellow Clinical Vignette Deadline - Wednesday, November 16, 2022
- Resident/Fellow Research Deadline - Wednesday, November 30, 2022
- Early Career Clinical Vignette & Research Deadline - Wednesday, November 30, 2022
Abstract Competition Results Notifications
- Medical Student Clinical Vignette & Research Notifications – February 6, 2023
- Resident/Fellow Clinical Vignette & Research Notifications - February 6, 2023
- Early Career Clinical Vignette & Research Notifications - February 6, 2023
- Original abstracts that either have or have not been presented at other meetings including ACP Chapters/Regions will be considered.
- Abstracts previously submitted to the National Meeting are not eligible and are subject to disqualification.
- Presentation of original work at the ACP meeting may, however, jeopardize presentation before another society.
- Abstracts are eligible if they have been published; however, abstracts based upon full papers that have been published are not eligible.
View Abstracts Submitted to Past Competitions
View the complete list of podium presenters and poster finalists from past Internal Medicine Meetings.
2022 – Chicago, IL
2021 – Virtual Experience
2020 – Virtual Experience
2019 – Philadelphia, PA
2018 – New Orleans, LA