You are here
Public Policy & Advocacy
Have a voice in NE Legislation
As a chapter, we are always watching bills coming through the Nebraska legislature. Do you have opinions on current legislation? Or perhaps you have a connection to a Nebraska lawmaker and would like to make contact with Chapter leaders. If so, please take a moment to email the chairs of the chapter Health & Public Policy Committee, Dr. Richard J. Seitz or Dr. Grant Turner.
2020 Leadership Day Funding Applications Available
ACP Leadership Day will be held on May 12-13, 2020, at the Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Washington, DC. This two-day event enables the College to increase its presence on Capitol Hill and bring our issues of concern to U.S. lawmakers.
Again this year, our Chapter will underwrite the travel of one medical student and one resident to attend Leadership Day in Washington, DC. All other Chapter members are welcome to attend at their own expense.
Chapter members who participate in Leadership Day will receive advocacy training, an update on the College's legislative priorities, briefings from Members of Congress, Administration officials and key Capitol Hill staffers, and an opportunity to meet with Nebraska's elected officials. A special briefing for Residents/Fellows-in-Training and medical students is also provided.
If you are a medical student or resident specializing in Internal Medicine, apply today for a chance to attend Leadership Day with travel expenses paid by the Chapter! Click here to find the application, due by Feb. 23, 2020.
ACP Advocacy Resources
Where the College Stands on key health policy issues, news and recent policy changes.
Visit Legislative Action Center for more information about the new Advocates for Internal Medicine Network (AIMn) and the Richard Neubauer Advocate for Internal Medicine Award.
State Health Policy Pages
- Consumer Web site: Affordable Care Act - site provides clear, trusted, concise, and easy to understand information by state, timeline, and patient characteristics (small business, under or over age 65, etc.).
- ACA Enrollment - help patients enroll in Health Insurance Marketplaces.
- The ACP Advocate - bi-weekly, e-newsletter created to provide ACP members with news about public policy issues affecting internal medicine and patient care.
- The ACP Advocacy Blog by Bob Doherty
- Electronic Resolution System - find Chapter Sponsored Resolutions.
- Member Advocacy - other resources to help members advocate ACP policy.
- Public Policy Virtual Library (PPVL) - a repository of ACP's current and historic policies and the Policy Compendium.