You are here
Public Policy & Advocacy
Over the course of these next few months, we will reach out to you more regularly to contact our legislators as ACP priorities move through Congress. Stay tuned! If you have a specific policy interest you would like to be more actively involved in, please contact us!
Hani Jarawan, MD FACP
ACP New Vision for US Health Care
Maine Chapter Members,
You are probably aware of ACP's comprehensive outline "Better is Possible: The American College of Physicians Vision for the U.S. Health Care System". The policy papers outline ACP's vision for a better health care system for all. To view the policy papers click on the links below:
A Call to Action from ACP
Reducing Barriers to Care and Addressing Social Determinants of Heatlh
Coverage and Cost of Care
Health Care Deliveryand Payment System Reform
If you have questions or would like additional information please contact either me (Rebecca Hemphill, Maine Chapter Governor, HEMPHR@mmc.org) or Hani Jarawan, (Maine Chapter HPPC Chair email@example.com).
Leadership Day is the College’s annual two-day advocacy event that enables our members from across the country to bring our issues of concern to U.S. lawmakers. This is a great opportunity for the College and our members to bring our policy priorities to Congress and try to influence the legislative process on behalf of internal medicine.
How can you benefit from Leadership Day?
In addition to having an opportunity to meet with your legislators and staff in Washington, DC, participants are provided with in-depth briefings from White House officials, Capitol Hill staffers, and members of Congress; all of whom are among the top health care decision makers.
Participants will also:
- Receive a comprehensive orientation on ACP’s top legislative priorities.
- Earn Continuing Medical Education (CME) credits.
- Learn advocacy skills that can be utilized back home.
- Meet other internists who care about advocacy, including colleagues from your own state.
- Learn about policy issues that impact your profession and your ability to provide quality care.
- Get to know ACP leaders and staff.
- Socialize and have a great time!
ACP Advocacy Resources
Where the College Stands on key health policy issues, news and recent policy changes.
Visit Legislative Action Center for more information about the new Advocates for Internal Medicine Network (AIMn) and the Richard Neubauer Advocate for Internal Medicine Award.
- The ACP Advocate - bi-weekly, e-newsletter created to provide ACP members with news about public policy issues affecting internal medicine and patient care
- The ACP Advocacy Blog by Bob Doherty
- Electronic Resolution System - find Chapter Sponsored Resolutions
- Member Advocacy - other resources to help members advocate ACP policy
- Public Policy Virtual Library (PPVL) - a repository of ACP's current and historic policies and the Policy Compendium