Eating disorders are common behavioral disorders associated with substantial psychological and physical morbidity and mortality. Persons with eating disorders frequently present to primary care providers, who may also be responsible for their general medical management. This article reviews the diagnosis, medical assessment, and treatment of the most common eating disorders.
Use this article to:
- Review the presentation of eating disorders.
- Have you diagnosed any patients with an eating disorder?
- Review the currently available therapeutic strategies for different eating disorders. What are the roles of primary care physicians in the treatment of patients with eating disorders?
- What are the indications for hospitalization of a patient with an eating disorder?
- Test your knowledge by completing the quiz that accompanies the article and then reviewing the correct answers.
Annals of Internal Medicine is the premier internal medicine academic journal published by the American College of Physicians (ACP). It is one of the most widely cited and influential specialty medical journals in the world.