The DEI Shift
Up to 0.5
AMA PRA Category 1 Credits ™ and MOC Points
Expires June 29, 2024 active
Free to Members
Podcasts and Audio Content
The DEI Shift
The DEI Shift's mission is to create a podcast series on diversity, equity, and inclusion (D.E.I.) in medicine that sparks discussion and provides practice-changing data and stories for a physician, student, allied health professional, and health care leader audience. Listeners will be able to gain useful information to improve their practices and environments, to gain empathy, cultural competency, and humility, and to learn more about emerging D.E.I. concepts. The DEI Shift will discuss issues related to gender, race, sexuality, religion, ability, socioeconomics, and so much more.
- Introduction of our co-hosts, the episode topic, and the guest, Dr. Jorge Rodriguez
[1:40] A Step in Their Shoes Segment
- Dr. Jorge Rodriguez discusses the influences of having a large family and being an immigrant to the United States on his career path
[3:33] Defining Telehealth
- Dr. Rodriguez defines synchronous and asynchronous telemedicine
[5:19] Expansion of telehealth during the COVID-19 pandemic
- The use of remote patient monitoring and virtual consults to minimize exposure to healthcare workers
[11:19] Digital Divide
- Dr. Rodriguez assesses the gap between those who can utilize digital health tools
- The degree of engagement can affect the accessibility to care
- The existing disparities are exacerbated by the COVID-19 pandemic
[14:53] Role models to address telehealth inequities
- Dr. Rodriguez discusses new tools (digital health navigator, provision of devices) and local programs that target these disparities
- Utilizing a screening and referral process to ensure patients have the necessary resources
- Targeting both larger changes to the healthcare system and individualized patient needs
[22:12] Addressing social determinants of health
- Addressing social determinants of health in a call to action
[23:30] Policy Changes to drive telehealth equity
- Emergency Broadband Benefit: subsidizes internet and device access for eligible populations
- Lifeline Program: provides discounted phone and internet access
- National CLAS Guidelines: national standards to provide culturally appropriate care
[29:18] Individual changes to a practice to promote digital health equity
[31:48] Telehealth equity to reach Health Equity
- The Expanding Digital Divide: Digital Health Access Inequities during the COVID-19 Pandemic in New York City
- Evidence Of An Emerging Digital Divide Among Hospitals That Care For The Poor
- Telemedicine, COVID-19, and disparities: Policy implications
- Disparities In Telehealth Use Among California Patients With Limited English Proficiency
Guest: Dr. Jorge Rodriguez
Co-hosts/Producers: Dr. Tiffany Leung, Dr. Sarah Takimoto
Executive Producer: Dr. Tammy Lin
Co-Executive Producers: Dr. Pooja Jaeel, Dr. Tiffany Leung
Senior Producers: Dr. Maggie Kozman, Dr. DJ Gaines
Editor/Assistant Producer: Joanna Jain
Production Assistants: Clara Baek, Nilgoun Farhadi
Website/Art Design: Ann Truong
Music: Chris Dingman
Disclaimer: The DEI Shift podcast and its guests provide general information and entertainment, but not medical advice. Before making any changes to your medical treatment or execution of your treatment plan, please consult with your doctor or personal medical team. Reference to any specific product or entity does not constitute an endorsement or recommendation by The DEI Shift. The views expressed by guests are their own, and their appearance on the podcast does not imply an endorsement of them or any entity they represent. Views and opinions expressed by The DEI Shift team are those of each individual, and do not necessarily reflect the views or opinions of The DEI Shift team and its guests, employers, sponsors, or organizations we are affiliated with.
Season 3 of The DEI Shift podcast is proudly sponsored by the American College of Physicians Southern California Region III Chapter.
The DEI Shift theme music is by Chris Dingman. Learn more at www.chrisdingman.com.
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org, @thedeishift, thedeishift.com
Clara Baek – Podcast Staff
Nilgoun Farhadi – Podcast Staff
Dirk (DJ) Gaines, MD, ACP Member – Podcast Staff
Joanna Jain – Podcast Staff
Tiffany Leung, MD, MPH, FACP – Moderator
Independent Contractor: PlushCare, Inc.
Jorge Rodriguez, MD, ACP Member – Speaker
Sarah Takimoto, MD, ACP Member - Moderator
Pooja Jaeel, MD, ACP Member
Maggie Kozman, MD, ACP Member
Relevant financial relationships appear in italics below each individual’s name. All financial relationships have been mitigated. All others have nothing to disclose or no relevant financial relationship(s) to disclose with ineligible companies whose primary business is producing, marketing, selling, re-selling, or distributing healthcare products used by or on patients.
Release Date:June 29, 2021
Expiration Date: June 29, 2024
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the accreditation requirements and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) through the joint providership of the American College of Physicians and the DEI Shift. The American College of Physicians is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American College of Physicians designates each enduring material (podcast) for 0.5 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
ABIM Maintenance of Certification (MOC) Points
Successful completion of this CME activity, which includes participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 0.5 medical knowledge MOC Point in the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credits claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
How to Claim CME Credit and MOC Points
After listening to the podcast, complete a brief multiple-choice question quiz. To claim CME credit and MOC points you must achieve a minimum passing score of 66%. You may take the quiz multiple times to achieve a passing score.