You are here
Herbert S. Waxman Clinical Skills Center provides hands-on learning in San Diego
Note: ACP Press Office staff escort is required for registered reporters to visit the Herbert S. Waxman Clinical Skills Center. Photography and video may be permitted, but reporters must first ask for the subject's approval.
The Herbert S. Waxman Clinical Skills Center is a collection of activities offering physicians hands-on learning and simulation models focusing on office-based procedures, examination skills, and assessment and interpretation skills.
Internal Medicine Meeting 2017 features a number of interactive workshops focused on the innovative use of ultrasound for performing procedures and making diagnoses. Highlights of activities with good visuals and interesting story angles are below.
- Ankle–Brachial Index by Doppler
- Arthrocentesis and Bursal Injections
- Chronic Leg Wound Management
- Incision and Drainage of Abscesses
- Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter Line Placement
- Skin Biopsy and Cryosurgery
- Suturing Skills
- Toenail Removal
- Ultrasound-Guided Central Line Placement
- Ultrasound-Guided Lumbar Puncture
- Ultrasound-Guided Paracentesis
- Ultrasound-Guided Thoracentesis
Physical Examination, Interpretation, and Assessment Skills
- Cardiac Diagnosis with Harvey, the Cardiopulmonary Patient Simulator
- ECG Self-Guided Tour
- Foot and Ankle Disorders
- Ophthalmoscopic Skills
- Physical Examination Tutorials
Herbert S. Waxman Chief Resident Teaching Scholarships
Herbert S. Waxman Chief Resident Teaching Scholarships were established in 2014 to recognize outstanding chief medical residents and to provide them an opportunity to help teach popular clinical skills workshops under the guidance and mentorship of expert faculty. The 2017 chief resident awardees are:
- Neil P. Bhalerao, MD, John H. Stroger Hospital of Cook County
- Jason J. Heino, DO, Providence St. Vincent Medical Center
- Samuel Lai, MD, University of California, Irvine
- Julie M. Knoeckel, MD, University of Colorado School of Medicine
- Lori de la Portilla, DO, University of Connecticut
- Nathaniel C. Warner, MD, Virginia Commonwealth University
The Herbert S. Waxman Clinical Skills Center hours are Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m.; Friday, 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m.; and Saturday, 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
# # #