The Herbert S. Waxman Clinical Skills Center is a collection of activities offering physicians hands-on learning and simulation models focusing on office-based procedures, examination skills, and assessment and interpretation skills.
Internal Medicine Meeting 2016 features a number of interactive workshops focused on the innovative use of ultrasound for performing procedures and making diagnoses. Highlights of activities with good visuals and interesting story angles are below.
- Advanced Airway Techniques
- Ankle–Brachial Index by Doppler
- Arthrocentesis and Bursal Injections
- Chronic Leg Wound Management
- Incision and Drainage of Abscesses
- Lumbar Puncture
- Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter Line Placement
- Skin Biopsy and Cryosurgery
- Suturing Skills
- Toenail Removal
- Ultrasound-Guided Central Venous Line Placement
- Ultrasound-Guided Paracentesis
Physical Examination, Interpretation, and Assessment Skills
- Cardiac Murmurs Self-Guided Tour
- Cardiac Diagnosis with Harvey, the Cardiopulmonary Patient Simulator
- Dermatology Self-Guided Learning Posters
- Foot and Ankle Disorders
- Ophthalmoscopic Skills
- Physical Examination Tutorials
Herbert S. Waxman Chief Resident Teaching Scholarships
Herbert S. Waxman Chief Resident Teaching Scholarships were established in 2014 to recognize outstanding chief medical residents and to provide them an opportunity to help teach popular clinical skills workshops under the guidance and mentorship of expert faculty. The 2016 chief resident awardees are:
- Nathan M. Anderson, MD, University of Nebraska Medical Center
- Brian L. Block, MD, New York-Presbyterian Hospital, Columbia University
- Ryan Buckley, MD, Ralph H. Johnson VA Medical Center/ The Medical University of South Carolina
- Zorawar Noor, MD, University of California, Irvine
- Victoria Fernandes Sullivan, MD, Madigan Army Medical Center
- Dorothy Thomas, MD, MSc, University of Saskatchewan
The Herbert S. Waxman Clinical Skills Center hours are Thursday, 8:30 a.m.-6:00 p.m., Friday, 8:00 a.m.-6:00 p.m., and Saturday, 8:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m.
Note: ACP Press Office staff escort is required for registered reporters to visit the Herbert S. Waxman Clinical Skills Center. Photography and video may be permitted, but reporters must first ask for the subject's approval.