You are here
American College of Physicians hosts nation’s largest annual gathering of internal medicine doctors
Internal Medicine Meeting 2019 in Philadelphia marks ACP’s 100th annual scientific meeting
Internal medicine physicians, subspecialists, medical students, and allied health professionals from around the world will gather in Philadelphia for the American College of Physicians’ (ACP) Internal Medicine Meeting 2019 from Thursday, April 11, through Saturday, April 13, at the Pennsylvania Convention Center.
ACP is the largest medical specialty organization in the United States with members in more than 145 countries worldwide. ACP membership includes 154,000 internal medicine physicians (internists), related subspecialists, and medical students. Internal medicine physicians are specialists who apply scientific knowledge and clinical expertise to the diagnosis, treatment, and compassionate care of adults across the spectrum from health to complex illness.
Internal Medicine Meeting 2019 features more than 200 sessions covering a broad array of clinical and practice management topics. Highlights of the meeting include:
- Annals of Internal Medicine: “On Being a Doctor” Story Slam -- inspired by the journal’s popular series of essays, “On Being A Doctor” -- is a special event on Wednesday, April 10, at 5:30 p.m. featuring physicians sharing personal experiences that reflect the human side of medicine.
- Vivek H. Murthy, MD, MBA, 19th Surgeon General of the United States, is the featured speaker at the Opening Ceremony on Thursday, April 11, at 9:30 a.m. Dr. Murthy will join ACP Executive Vice President and Chief Executive Officer Darilyn V. Moyer, MD, FACP, for an engaging discussion. During his time as Surgeon General, Dr. Murthy helped address critical public health issues, including the Ebola outbreak, the Zika virus, low rates of physical activity, and the explosion in e-cigarette use among youth.
- ACP honors outstanding contributions to medicine at Convocation on Thursday, April 11, at 6:00 p.m. ACP President Ana María López, MD, MPH, MACP, presides over the ceremony, during which 25 awardees, 61 new Masters of ACP (MACP), and more than 400 new Fellows of ACP (FACP) are honored.
- ACP’s Tech Hub is an interactive, technology area located in the Exhibit Hall focuses on informing, demonstrating, and educating physicians about emerging technology, both today and on the horizon.
Note: Interviews are prohibited in the Exhibit Hall.
- The Clinical Skills Center features a collection of activities offering physicians hands-on learning and simulation models focusing on office-based procedures, examination skills, and assessment and interpretation skills.
Note: The Clinical Skills Center hours of operation are Thursday, 9 a.m.-6 p.m.; Friday, 7 a.m.-6 p.m.; and Saturday, 8 a.m.-3 p.m. Escort by ACP Press Office staff is required for registered reporters to visit the Clinical Skills Center. Photography and video may be permitted, but reporters must first ask for the subject's approval.
- ACP hosts national abstract competitions for Medical Students, Resident/Fellows, and Early Career Physicians who are ACP members. Finalists compete onsite in five categories: Clinical Vignette, Basic Research, Clinical Research, Quality Improvement / Patient Safety, and High Value Care.
- ACP Innovation Challenge 2019: Fostering Partnerships between Physicians and Patients is a “Shark Tank”-styled competition on Saturday, April 13, at 10:30 a.m. showcasing the best and brightest ideas from practicing physicians, fellows, residents, and medical students that have the potential to transform the practice of internal medicine. A Grand Prize winner will win $20,000 and an Audience Choice winner will win $5,000.
- Doctor's Dilemma features Up to 60 teams of ACP Resident/Fellow members -- each representing an ACP chapter from around the world -- competing in a fast-paced, Jeopardy-style medical knowledge competition. The “Final Five” teams of residents face off in the championship round on April 13 at 5:15 p.m. The winning team takes home the Osler Cup -- ACP’s coveted trophy.
At the conclusion of the Internal Medicine Meeting 2019, Robert M. McLean, MD, FACP, becomes president of ACP and Douglas M. DeLong, MD, FACP, becomes chair of ACP’s Board of Regents. Both terms are for one year.
Additional Resources for Reporters