The ACP Virginia Chapter Climate and Health Committee was created in 2023 in response to growing recognition of the profound health effects of climate change, supported by prominent reports including the WHO, Lancet, and ACP’s very own position papers.
- “Between 2030 and 2050, climate change is expected to cause approximately 250 000 additional deaths per year, from malnutrition, malaria, diarrhoea and heat stress.” (WHO 2020)
- “Climate change is the greatest global health threat facing the world in the 21st century, but it is also the greatest opportunity to redefine the social and environmental determinants of health.” (Lancet 2022)
- “ACP strongly supports aggressive action to mitigate and adapt to climate change, strengthen policies to regulate air pollution, ensure that everyone has access to clean water, and limit exposures to toxins.” (ACP Position Paper 2022, update from original Position Paper 2016)
The effect of climate change on health is also in synergy with other initiatives by the American College of Physicians. This includes advocacy, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI), High Value Care/Resource Utilization, and Simplifying Practice/Decreasing Paperwork.
The Climate and Health Committee is currently recruiting members at all stages of training, including faculty, fellows, residents, and medical students. We will plan to hold quarterly meetings with opportunities to join in with other initiatives with partner organizations and ACP committees. Please contact committee chair Homan Wai at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Medical Society Consortium on Climate and Health - https://medsocietiesforclimatehealth.org/
- Virginia Clinicians for Climate Action - https://www.virginiaclinicians.org/
Medical Student Leadership
- Medical Students for a Sustainable Future (MS4SF) - https://ms4sf.org/
- Planetary Health Report Card (PHRC) - https://phreportcard.org/
- ACP's Advocacy Priorities 2023 - Mitigate the Effects of Climate Change https://www.acponline.org/advocacy/where-we-stand/acps-advocacy-priorities-2023/mitigate-the-effects-of-climate-change
- ACP Advocacy - Where We Stand - Public Health - Climate Change https://www.acponline.org/advocacy/where-we-stand/public-health
- ACP Climate and Health Tool Kit - https://www.acponline.org/advocacy/advocacy-in-action/toolkit-climate-change-and-health
- ACP Position Paper 2022 - Environmental Health: A Position Paper of the American College of Physicians - https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/M22-1864#:~:text=In%20this%20position%20paper%2C%20the,toxic%20 substances%2C%20and%20address%20 environmental
- ACP Position Paper 2016 - Climate Change and Health - https://www.acpjournals.org/doi/10.7326/m15-2766#:~:text=In%20this%20position%20paper%2C%20the,climate%20change%3B%20and%20educate%20the
- Healthcare Without Harm | Practice Green Health - Energy and Health Impact Calculator - https://practicegreenhealth.org/tools-and-resources/energy-and-health-impact-calculator
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) on Climate Change - https://www.ipcc.ch/
- Lancet Countdown on Health and Climate Change - https://www.thelancet.com/countdown-health-climate
- My Green Doctor - https://mygreendoctor.org/
- New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) Climate Change topic page - https://www.nejm.org/climate-change
- Practice Greenhealth - https://practicegreenhealth.org/
- Medical Society Consortium on Climate and Health climate annual meeting with visit to Congress - https://medsocietiesforclimatehealth.org/annual-meeting/
- Virginia Clinicians for Climate Action (VCCA) annual advocacy day in Virginia - https://www.virginiaclinicians.org/richmond-advocacy-days