You are here
Rx: Invest in Yourself
Take Your Own Pulse
- Try out some of the 3-15 day Resilience Tools at the Duke Center for Healthcare Safety and Quality. One involves writing your story for help from healing with burnout.
- Reflection questions you can ponder and/or write about:
- Who or what are you letting go of this year?
- What behaviors do you want to change?
- Who or what is influencing you the most right now?
- What's working and what's not working professionally and personally?
- What is a discovery you made so far this year?
- What is the most impactful conversation you have had this year?
Treat the Pain Point - Video Series
- “It’s My Fault…I am not…enough” - learn ways to address these thoughts
- "I can't focus" - learn strategies for improving your ability to focus
- "My patients don't listen to me" - explore techniques to address underlying beliefs that cause frustration
- "I feel disconnected/lonely" - learn about processing your emotions, affect labeling, and going beyond "I am fine"
- "I don't feel respected" - discover ways to address disrespect and how to use empathetic listening and reflection
Feed Your Brain
- TED talk by Elizabeth Cox (5 min): What is Imposter Syndrome and how can you combat it?
- TED talk by Alison Ledgerwood, Ph.D. (10 min): Getting stuck in the negatives (and how to get unstuck)
- Journal Article: ”Putting Feelings Into Words: Affect Labeling as Implicit Emotion Regulation”
- BMJ Journal Article: "45 Good Things" - research study about a daily gratitude exercise done by physicians, nurses and other providers has been shown to improve wellness
Feed Your Soul
- Book: Together by Vivek H. Murthy, MD, Surgeon General of the US - about the epidemic of loneliness he saw across the country
- Podcast: Empowering Women Physicians by Dr. Sunny Smith (Episode 20 - Affect Labeling)
- TED Talk by Sara Cameron (12 min): How to turn busy into balance
- TED Talk by entrepreneur Mike Cannon-Brookes (14 min): How you can use Imposter Syndrome to your benefit
- Video by Kari Romeo (15 min): Teach Your Inner Critic a New Story
Celebrate the Wins
- We all have a tendency to focus on the negatives or the times we fell short. What if we focused more on our wins? If we make it a priority, we can shift our thoughts to the many areas of our lives for which we are thankful.
- Ways to reflect on wins:
- What is a new skill you have learned or a current skill you have strengthened?
- What is something that isn't on your CV that you are proud of?
- What are three things you are grateful for?
Virtual Doctor's Lounge Events
The Hallway Consults have been rebranded in our collaboration with the GA chapter and you now have an invitation to come rest and talk with your colleagues in the Virtual Doctor’s Lounge. We will be hanging out the second Thursday of each month at 7pm eastern time so save the date! For more information and dates, visit the News and Meetings page.
Marion McCrary MD, FACP, NBC-HWC
NC ACP Well-being Champion
ACP Well-being and Professional Fulfillment
Check out ACP's well-being and professional fulfillment website for individual, community, and organizational well-being resources.
- Patients Before Paperwork is an ACP initiative designed to reinvigorate the patient-physician relationship by challenging unnecessary practice.
Crisis and Counseling Support
- For the Frontlines - free, 24/7. USA text 741741, UK text 85258, Canada text 741741
- Project Parachute pro bono teletherapy for Covid-19 frontliners
- The Physician Support Line - free and confidential
- National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255 and crisis text line at 741-741
- SAHMSA Disaster Distress Helpline: Call 1-800-985-5990 or text TalkWithUs to 66746
CME for Well-being
Selected CME activities for well-being are now available on the ACP Well-being and Professional Fulfillment website. Activities include short ten-minute Mini but Mighty Skills for Well-being recordings as well as crisis and long-term well-being management webinars for individuals and communities. For questions about the well-being CME activities, contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mini But Mighty Skills for Well-being
- COVID-19: Practical Advice and Support from Internists on the Front Lines
- Positive Psychology in Times of Crisis
- Optimizing Well-being, Practice Culture, and Professional Thriving in an Era of Turbulence
- Building Your Resilient Self
- Mindfulness in Medicine: What Physicians Need to Know
- ACP's Career Connection
- ACP JournalWise
- Annals of Internal Medicine
- Center for Ethics and Professionalism - focuses on policy development and implementation on issues related to medical ethics and professionalism
- Maintenance of Certification - ACP offers Recertification Assistance and Resources
- Physician & Practice Timeline
- Practice Advisor
- Practice Management Issues and Resources
- Quality Improvement: Pay-for-Performance and Practice Redesign - provides information and resources on ACP policies and activities related to the national health care quality movement
- Volunteering as a Physician