You are here
Physician Open Payments (Sunshine Rule)
The following information will help you and your staff understand the Physician Payment Sunshine Rule (also referred to as the National Physician Payment Transparency Program, or Open Payments), which requires transparency in defined payment relationships with physicians and teaching hospitals by applicable manufacturers and group purchasing organizations.
The Open Payments system was implemented by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) in 2015. It provides a mechanism for the public reporting of physician and teaching hospital financial relationships with industry. The system allows for a voluntary review process in which physicians and teaching hospital representatives can examine the reportable information for accuracy prior to being publically displayed.
Participation in this review process requires registration in both the CMS Enterprise Identity Management System (EIDM) and the Open Payments system.
- CMS Open Payments Web Site
- Open Payments System General Resources
- CMS Physician Payment Sunshine Final Rule
- CMS Physician Payment Sunshine Final Rule Fact Sheet for Physicians
What Physicians Need to Do
- Instructions for Physicians on How to Register to Review Payment Information Reported by Industry
- The National Physician Payment Transparency Program (Sunshine Rule): What You Need to Know
- Mobile App to Track Transfers of Value From Industry