You are here
The ACP has put together the following resources to help members understand and comply with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) Administrative Simplification rules, including the Omnibus, Breach Notification, and the Enforcement Rules. Manuals can be used for practice assessments, as a framework for staff training, customizable forms and checklists, as well as for background information and reference.
HIPAA and Administrative Simplification Overview
- HIPAA Summary
- Administrative Simplification Overview
- HITECH General Information
- In the Omnibus rule published January 2013, HHS implemented a number of provisions of the HITECH Act to strengthen the privacy and security protections for health information established under HIPAA.
- Are You a Covered Entity?
- HIPAA and ACA Key Dates
- HIPAA Training Materials
- HIPAA and Interoperability
The HIPAA Privacy Rule requires safeguards to protect the privacy of personal health information. These resources help physician practices comply with the rules.
- The Office of Civil Rights has issued revised guidance on how HIPAA permits covered entities (and their business associates) to use HIEs to disclose PHI for public health purposes. These FAQs address HIPAA Privacy Rule issues related to use of HIEs.
- Privacy manual (September 2013) (members only)
- Model Notice of Privacy Practices - This model NPP, developed collaboratively by the Office of the National Coordinator of HIT (ONC) and the Office of Civil Rights (OCR), is customizable in three different formats.
- Business Associate Agreements
- Individual Right to Access Health Information
- Patient Access to Records - This series of short videos explains patients' rights to access their health record, and to have that information sent to others (including family members or a mobile device application).
Security Rules require practices to protect all patient information that is stored, received, or transmitted electronically.
- Security Manual (September 2013) (members only)
- Security Risk Assessment
- Security Rule Training Games. These two security training modules use an interactive game format to understand privacy and security challenges often faced in a typical small medical practice. The games address Cybersecurity and Contingency Planning.
- Top 10 Myths of Security Risk Analysis
- Ransomware and HIPAA Factsheet
The HITECH Breach Notification Rule requires HIPAA-covered entities to notify HHS of a breach of unsecured protected health information.
- Breach Notification Regulations - The Office of Civil Rights is responsible for enforcing this rule.
- Breach Notification Guide (members only) - This guide provides everything you need to do in the event of a breach of unsecured protected health information (PHI) within your practice.
- Breach Report Portal - This online portal allows users to submit a notice of breach of unsecured protected health information to the Secretary of HHS.
- Medicare Beneficiary Identifier
- Employer Identifier
- Health Plan Identifier
- National Provider Identifier
Links to other HIPAA and Administrative Simplification Resources
The following resources offered by other reputable organizations offer some additional information and alternatives to those included above.
- Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) and Electronic Remittance Advice (ERA) Rules
- AMA Resources
- MGMA Resources
- HIMSS Resources
- WEDI Resources
- CMS - Resources related to Administrative Simplification, including the published rules themselves.
- Office of Civil Rights - Resources related to enforcement of Privacy, Security, and Breach Notification as well as complaint processes.
These information pages from the Office of Civil Rights (OCR) and the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) offer well organized web pages, including easily searchable FAQs, regarding all parts of HIPAA.
- Privacy Rule
- Health Information Privacy and Security Enforcement - Office of Civil Rights, in charge of enforcement of privacy. You can read all the Rules and proposed rules, as well as some FAQ's from the source.
- Security Rule
- Breach and Notification Rules