Given the rapid adoption of e-cigarettes despite unclear benefits and harms, understanding use patterns, together with those of combustible cigarettes, is important for efforts to safeguard public health. This nationally representative survey assessed demographic patterns of e-cigarette and combustible cigarette use.
Use this paper to:
- Consider whether use of e-cigarettes is harmful. What are the physiologic effects and harms of nicotine?
- For whom might e-cigarettes be beneficial?
- Do you think the growing use of e-cigarettes (e.g., JUUL) among young people who have never used combustible cigarettes is a problem? What might be the risks?
- Do you agree with the editorialist that the use of e-cigarettes among people who have never used combustible cigarettes is “negligible”?
- Should you ask patients whether they use e-cigarettes? Why or why not?
Annals of Internal Medicine is the premier internal medicine academic journal published by the American College of Physicians (ACP). It is one of the most widely cited and influential specialty medical journals in the world.
Back to the November 2018 issue of ACP IMpact