Pain Management Learning Series
This interactive training series consists of 7 core modules and 2 sets of case studies.
Pain Management 6: Opioid Therapy reviews considerations for prescribing opioids for pain, managing and adjusting opioid therapy, mitigating risk of opioid-overdose death, recognizing opioid use disorder, and tapering opioids. By the conclusion of this module, learners will be able to:
- Discuss when it is appropriate to consider prescribing opioids for pain, comparing indications for acute versus chronic pain.
- Outline a plan for initiating opioids in opioid-naïve patients, for selecting opioids and formulations, and for subsequently adjusting opioids when needed (including how to manage acute pain in patients on chronic opioid therapy and how to manage specific opioids and special situations).
- Identify common adverse effects from opioids as well as potential strategies to mitigate such adverse effects.
- Prescribe naloxone for patients and their family members when indicated to reduce the risk of opioid-overdose death.
- Avoid excessive prescribing and monitor patients to reduce the risk of opioid use disorder and drug diversion.
- Screen for and recognize opioid use disorder, and arrange necessary therapy.
- Decide when to consider tapering opioids and how to do so safely.
Modules and CME/MOC credit are free to ACP Members. Non-members may purchase access to claim CME/MOC credit for each module for $25 or the full package of 7 learning modules and 2 sets of case studies for $199 by clicking “Learn More/Buy”. Non-members who do not purchase the module will not receive credit upon completion of the module.
The ACP Pain Management Learning Series is supported by an independent education grant funded by Pfizer, Inc., in partnership with Lilly USA, LLC.
Through the American Board of Medical Specialties’ (“ABMS”) ongoing commitment to increase access to practice relevant Continuing Certification Activities through the ABMS Continuing Certification Directory, ACP Pain Management 6-Opioid Therapy, has met the requirements as a MOC Part II CME Activity (apply toward general CME requirement) for the following ABMS Member Boards:
ABMS MOC Part II CME Activity
- Allergy and Immunology
- Colon and Rectal Surgery
- Family Medicine
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Plastic Surgery
- Preventive Medicine
- Psychiatry and Neurology
- Thoracic Surgery
Please provide feedback to ABMS.
Up to 4
AMA PRA Category 1 Credits ™ and MOC Points
Expires April 05, 2024 active
Free to Members
Pain Management Learning Series
This self-paced, comprehensive, multimedia series comprises 7 core learning modules, 2 case-based modules, and additional resources with over 23 hours of learning activities. It provides interactive and engaging training in pain assessment, nonpharmacologic treatment, nonopioid pharmacotherapy, rational use of opioids, and management of patients with both pain and opioid use disorder. With an emphasis on evidence-based communication skills, this series is designed to support patient partnership and successful navigation of chronic pain management challenges.