You are here
How ACP members can support hurricane and earthquake aid efforts
In the wake of recent devastation from hurricanes and the Mexican earthquake, ACP is communicating with our members and regional chapter leadership in the affected areas and will provide any support and resources we can during this difficult time.
CMS is working to maintain access of care in states and territories recently affected by hurricanes Maria, Irma and Harvey. CMS is exercising allowable flexibilities and waivers as needed to accommodate the needs of those impacted by recent emergencies or disaster. For more details on all of CMS' efforts, see CMS' emergency page.
The Texas Medical Association has issued advice for medical professionals looking for or to help in the wake of Harvey. More details available at the TMA's website.
Here are additional resources for ACP members looking to help those affected by the tragedy:
- Volunteers can sign up to help via the National Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster.
- Donations to aid victims of the Mexican earthquake or hurricanes Maria, Irma or Harvey can be directed specifically to your choice via the humanitarian relief effort Direct Relief.
- Amazon is also assisting with donations of specific urgent items requested by the Mexican Red Cross. Spanish-language readers can view needed items and purchase through Amazon Mexico; purchased items benefit all cities and states affected by the earthquake.
- Send money directly through PayPal to Topos Tlaltelolco A.C., a professional Mexican non-profit rescue team: Log in to PayPal, click "Send Money" and enter the organization's email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- The Crowdfunding charity Global Giving vets all organizations that it works with and attests that all of its Mexican-directed donations will go to working with local partners for recovery and relief efforts in Mexico.
- For more info on relief organizations working in Mexico, visit the Charity Navigator.
- Physicians and friends of medicine can donate to help the Texas Medical Association and the TMA Foundation reestablish patient care in the disaster zone.
- Donations to provide water, food and other general supplies are being solicited by the Houston Food Bank.
- GoFundMe has put together a curated list of group and individually targeted Harvey relief efforts.
- Text to help Hurricane Harvey victims by texting HARVEY to 90999 to give $10 to the Red Cross (or by visiting RedCross.org to give any other amount).
- Donate to help the Red Cross' recovery efforts related to Hurricane Irma.
- The Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund, established by Houston Mayor Sylvester Turner, is accepting donations for flood victims.
In addition, organizations collecting donations for general disaster relief efforts include the United Way, Salvation Army, Save the Children, Global Giving, Heart to Heart, NOVAD and Southern Baptist Disaster Relief.
- If you are a physician treating a displaced patient(s) from the Houston area, the Texas Medical Society has guidance on accessing electronic medical records for patients from the region.
- As a resource to clinicians treating patients in the Gulf area, relevant Annals of Internal Medicine content can be accessed for free at http://annals.org/aim/pages/eai