The first Mastership in the College was presented in 1923 to Dr. James M. Anders, who served the College as President for two terms. He was recognized for his extraordinary service to the College and for being one of the most outstanding internists and medical teachers of his day.
ACP Bylaws state that Masters shall be Fellows who have been selected because of “integrity, positions of honor, eminence in practice or in medical research, or other attainments in science or in the art of medicine.” Masters must be highly accomplished persons demonstrating eminence in practice, leadership, or in medical research. Evidence of their achievements can come from many types of endeavors such as notoriety within their field and/or ACP chapter, research, education, health care initiatives, volunteerism, and administrative positions. The Master must be distinguished by the excellence and significance of his or her contributions to the field of medicine.
For Mastership, ACP involvement is expected, with rare exceptions. This may include, for example, service to the College in an official capacity, participation in chapter activities, and involvement in the development of College products and educational programs.
The Awards Committee is especially interested in letters which use personal observations and experiences to illuminate the nominee's impact on ACP and internal medicine. Letters from current Masters are encouraged if available.
Nominating and supporting letters should address:
- How does this nominee exhibit integrity?
- In what way has the nominee furthered the cause of ACP: past, present, or future plans?
- Has the nominee held any positions of honor (past/present)?
- How has the nominee attained recognition in the area of medical practice, health care initiatives, education, research, and/or volunteerism?
- What are the most significant contributions of this nominee towards the art and science of medicine?
Internal Medicine Meeting 2015 Digital Presentations
Choose from over 170 recorded Scientific Program Sessions and Pre-Courses. Available in a variety of packages and formats so you can choose the combination that works best for you.