In this Issue:
- GOVERNOR’S MESSAGE
- HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2019 INTERNAL MEDICINE MEETING
- YOU ARE INVITED!
- ENHANCE YOUR PERSONAL WELL-BEING
- EXCELLENT RESOURCES FOR MEMBERS
- CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- WELCOME TO NEW MEMBERS
- FACP – BECOME ONE TODAY!
- BE ACTIVE IN YOUR CHAPTER!
George K. Dresser, MD, FACP, ACP Governor
Let me begin by extending my sincere thanks to our past Governor Dr. Irene Hramiak. She has set a high standard, shepherding our chapter through the last four years. I am very excited to “stand on the shoulders” of past and current chapter leadership as we endeavour to build upon the successes of this chapter.
During this last year as Governor-Elect, I have moved from a position of uncertainty about the relevance the ACP in the Canadian context to a position of confidence in the relevance of ACP initiatives to our situation in Ontario. The initiatives I am personally most excited about are (1) Physician wellness; (2) Promotion of the ongoing role for the “Master Clinician” within our increasingly fragmented healthcare system; (3) Emphasis on “Patients before paperwork”; and (4) Enhancing support for women in medicine.
In the USA, the ACP has been a voice of reason in their extremely complex health care system through strong advocacy efforts with State and Federal Governments. As Canadians, we do not have the same “skin-in-the-game,” but it is a pleasure as their friendly northern neighbours to walk beside them in these efforts. During my tenure as Governor in Ontario, I would like to explore the needs and desires of our membership regarding advocacy efforts in our province. Recent developments in the ongoing negotiations between the OMA and government have highlighted the fact that some physician groups do not feel well represented, and while I personally feel that a united approach is probably better than a fragmented approach to advocacy, our membership may have specific needs and skills to offer in the ongoing discussion of healthcare changes in our province.
I need to hear from you! As your new Governor, I want to understand your priorities, needs, and skills. Please feel free to email me directly George.Dresser@lhsc.on.ca. Over the next six months, I will be sending out a number of small surveys to begin understanding how we, as the ACP, can enable local efforts to build physician wellness initiatives, promote Master Clinicians, emphasize “Patients before Paperwork” and begin to understand the specific challenges for women in medicine at all stages of training and practice.
I know you are busy. Despite that, we will only be able to support you if we understand your unique circumstances. Please take the time to respond to our surveys. We will absolutely review the information you provide and respond as best we can.
Thank you for giving me this opportunity to serve you in this role.
HIGHLIGHTS OF THE 2019 INTERNAL MEDICINE MEETING
- This year's Internal Medicine Meeting in Philadelphia was a resounding success with over 8,800 delegates from around the world along with 212 Canadians. The education was excellent, and I encourage you to attend future meetings.
- The Convocation of the American College of Physicians is an annual ceremony whereby the College recognizes and applauds its new Fellows, Masters and the recipients of various honors. Congratulations to all new!
- Once again, Canada was well represented at the national ACP Doctor's Dilemma® Competition with teams from Ontario, Alberta, Quebec, and the Atlantic Provinces.
Congratulations to our team from the University of Toronto for making it to the final round. They finished an amazing 3rd amongst 52 teams!
- Missed this year's IM meeting? There is still a chance to benefit. Click to purchase session recordings.
YOU ARE INVITED!
ACP Ontario Chapter Annual Meeting
ENHANCE YOUR PERSONAL WELL-BEING
ACP is committed to providing high quality information, resources, tools, and support to help improve member well-being. Click to learn how the ACP is helping.
EXCELLENT RESOURCES FOR MEMBERS
- Update your Knowledge with MKSAP 18 Q&A
A 26-year-old woman is evaluated for left lateral knee and distal thigh pain that began 6 weeks ago. She is a long-distance runner who trains 6 days per week. Read more and guess the answer…
- Certificate in Physician Leadership Program. Apply BY JUNE 1st. Click for details…
- MedEd Bootcamp for Residents – click to learn more…
- ACP advocates for you – Read how...
DynaMed Plus®- ACP members have free access to the most current, evidence-based clinical decision support tool until August 31, 2019.
ACP Journal Club - a summary of the best new evidence for internal medicine from over 120 clinical journals.
ACP JournalWise – searches and filters the most recent articles from the top 120 medical journals.
IM In-Training Exam - a web-based self-assessment exam for residents to assess their progress.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
ACP Quebec Chapter and ASMIQ Meeting / Inter-University Day
May 24-25, 2019 in Montréal, QC
ACP Quebec Chapter Meeting and ASMIQ 21st Annual Meeting
In collaboration with the ACP Hawaii Chapter
June 26-28, 2019 in Maui, Hawaii
The ACP Atlantic Provinces Chapters Annual Meeting 2019 will be held during the Annual Meeting of the Canadian Society of Internal Medicine
October 2-5, 2019 – Halifax, NS
Call for Abstracts and Awards
CALL FOR TEAMS - ACP Doctor's Dilemma Competition®
Hosted by the ACP Canadian Chapters
During the CSIM/ACP Atlantic Provinces Chapter Meeting
October 2-5, 2019 – Halifax, NS
ACP Internal Medicine Meeting
Click for future dates and cities
WELCOME TO NEW MEMBERS
Rebecca Kruisselbrink, MD, FACP
Marek Jakubowski, MD, FRCPC, FACP
Fiaz Afzal, MD
Waleed Chehadi, MD
Jacob Gelberg, MD
Alexis Gordon, MD
Emily Jones, MD
Amadeep Klair, MD
Fraser Miller, MDCM
Renuka Naidu, MD
Greg Sue-a-Quan, MD
Sanya Thobani, MD
FACP – BECOME ONE TODAY!
- Know a Chapter Member deserving of advancement to Fellowship or Mastership? Nominate them!
- There are several pathways to Fellowship with a simple application process. Or contact me personally at George.Dresser@lhsc.on.ca
BE ACTIVE IN YOUR CHAPTER!
We are seeking residents, students and members to assist with local activities – journal clubs, career nights, educational sessions. Email me at George.Dresser@lhsc.on.ca
Share your good news or that of a colleague and we will post it in our Chapter newsletter.
Follow the ACP Canadian Chapters on Twitter! @ACPCanadian