In this Issue:
- GOVERNOR'S MESSAGE
- CALENDAR OF EVENTS
- EXCELLENT RESOURCES FOR MEMBERS
- FACP®– BECOME ONE TODAY!
- WELCOME NEW MEMBERS!
- BE ACTIVE IN YOUR CHAPTER!
Brian G. Moses, MD, FACP, ACP Governor
As the calendar turns to another new year, it provides me time to reflect on the last four years as Governor of the ACP Atlantic Provinces Chapters. Certainly, this has been an unprecedented stretch, with the COVID-19 pandemic taking hold the month before my role began. Our healthcare system has been stretched to the limits over these years, as an aging population, increasing comorbidities, and declining health care human resources have combined to create an environment that has stressed the limits of what we can provide on a continuous basis.
Despite these challenges, my optimism remains, due in large part to the people within the system. When I looked around at my internal medicine colleagues, both locally at my own site, as well as throughout the Atlantic region, I see dedicated and hard-working individuals who are passionate about patient care, and who are doing outstanding things to make sure that the system continues to function despite these challenges.
With this daunting task that lies before us, it can be easy to wonder what we, as individuals, can do. However, it all starts with one person. As we do our best to provide care to our patients, those efforts will be combined with those of others around who are making similar efforts. Working together, these efforts snowball in amazing ways to help improve the lives of those who we care for.
I think it is also important to note benefits that arise from serving our fellow human beings. Although medicine is a life of sacrifice, I have come to learn that sacrificing for others often brings unexpected blessings into my own life. We live in a time where many things focus on individual wellness, and that focus can be at odds with a life in medicine, which can involve the sacrifice of our own time and energy towards helping others. There is a fear that, unless we step away from our role in medicine and focus more on ourselves, we will wind up burning out. In my experience, burnout tends to occur more from situations where we are unable to provide care, such as undue administrative burdens, lack of resources, and other similar obstacles that prevent us from achieving our goals in providing care, rather than the actual time involved in providing quality care to patients. While I am not trying to advocate for people to stretch themselves too thin, I do think, for society in general, and physicians in particular, finding more opportunities to serve others will improve the quality of our own life.
With that in mind, I look forward to 2024 and recognize the immense challenges that are ahead. However, I also recognize that this will provide opportunities for all of us to fulfill the very special task that is ours, which is to provide needed health care for those who struggle with medical problems. Seeing the joy return to someone who, once too short of breath to walk across the room, can now play sports again, reignites my passion for this wonderful career. May we all be invigorated as we serve our patients each day.
As my term as Governor draws to an end, I am pleased to welcome Dr. Sahar Iqbal (Memorial) as your new Governor commencing in April. My thanks to all council and committee members for their support, and I encourage all members to become active in our chapter.
CALENDAR OF EVENTS
2024 ACP INTERNAL MEDICINE MEETING
Boston, MA | April 18-20, 2024
Pre-Courses: April 16-17
Register BY JANUARY 31ST and SAVE with early bird rates!
Click today for details!
Boston – during the ACP IM Meeting
Friday, April 19, 2024
VIRTUAL, ACCREDITED WORKSHOPS
The Canadian Society of Internal is offering free accredited, virtual workshops on a variety of topics.
Click here for a list of upcoming sessions.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
The ACP Ontario Chapter’s 2024 Annual Meeting will be held during the Annual Meeting
of the Canadian Society of Internal Medicine
October 16-19, 2024
Annals of Internal Medicine: Spotlight on 2023!
- The editorial team of the Annals of Internal Medicine has curated a list of articles from the past year that they consider essential reading for busy physicians.
- Click now for the Annals: Spotlight on 2023 which is freely available through
February 29, 2024 – don’t wait catch up today!
EXCELLENT RESOURCES FOR MEMBERS
- ✓ A Gift For You! Save 10% on your MKSAP 19 subscription when you purchase before January 31, 2024.
- ✓ ACP Clinical Guidelines– providing recommendations based on the best available evidence; to inform when there is no evidence; and finally, to help clinicians deliver the best health care possible.
- ✓ DynaMed Plus® - ACP members have free access to the most current, evidence-based clinical decision support tool.
- ✓ ACP Journal Club– a summary of the best new evidence for internal medicine from over 120 clinical journals.
- ✓ ACP JournalWise - searches and filters the most recent articles from the top 120 medical journals.
- ✓ ACP Connect App – On-the-go access to ACP
FACP®– BECOME ONE TODAY!
Becoming an FACP ® is a distinction earned from colleagues who recognize your accomplishments and achievements in medicine.
Know a Chapter Member deserving of advancement to Fellowship or Mastership? Nominate them!
WELCOME NEW MEMBERS!
- Jason Hearn, MD - Resident/Fellow Member
- Kieran Vasanthan, MD - Resident/Fellow Member
- Victoria Howatt, MD - Resident/Fellow Member
- Arupava Chowdhury, MD - Member
- Cody Harper - Medical Student Member
- Jasleen Singh - Medical Student Member
- John A Sapp, MD - Resident/Fellow Member
- Hayley Walsh - Medical Student Member
- Gil C Grimes, MD - Physician Affiliate
- Emma Nolan, MD - Resident/Fellow Member
- Ali H Beydoun, MD - Resident/Fellow Member
- Matthew R Sinclair, MBBS - Resident/Fellow Member
- Mohammad Sultan - Medical Student Member
- Rory McKerchar, MD - Resident/Fellow Member
- Kristine A Howie, MD - Resident/Fellow Member
- Simon Chartrand, MD - Resident/Fellow Member
Thank you for your membership in the ACP! Please remember to renew your membership to maintain your access to quality education and member-exclusive benefits.
Click here now to easily renew your dues online!
BE ACTIVE IN YOUR CHAPTER!
Be a part of our vibrant chapter! There are many volunteer opportunities – please email me directly at email@example.com
Share your good news or that of a colleague and we will post it in our chapter newsletter!