You are here
Physician Membership Details
Information for Physicians, Fellows, Masters and Physician Affiliates
ACP staff is working remotely in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Unfortunately, we are not able to process incoming fax messages due to Payment Card Industry (PCI) standards and requirements. If you need to send documents or orders to ACP, please:
1) Complete the documents without any credit card information. Scan and email these documents to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2) Call ACP to provide your credit card information at 800-227-1915 or +1 215-351-2600 if calling internationally.
Please be prepared to provide the order details such as number of orders or memberships and the total dollar amount you are approving for charging to the credit card. We are doing our best to continue to provide you with the services you need during this challenging time.
(9 years or more beyond medical school)
(8 years or less beyond medical school)
ACP's membership year runs from July 1 to June 30. Dues are pro-rated based upon the month a new member joins.
Renewing Members and Additional Details
ACP's membership year runs from July 1 to June 30 each year and dues are subject to change annually. A special introductory dues rate may be offered to new members when they first join.
Membership in ACP includes membership in ACP national, your local ACP state/regional chapter, and ACP Services. A portion of your dues supports each entity. Members may not opt out of any of these entities. Chapter dues rates vary by chapter; therefore, the dues rate that a new member will be charged at the first renewal will be dependent upon the chapter to which he/she belongs.
View the complete dues chart for renewing members within the U.S.
View important state disclosures information for solicitation of contributions.
Can't find what you're looking for? See additional dues information.
New to ACP
If you have completed a residency in a specialty other than internal medicine:
Apply Online or Download Application for Physician Affiliate membership
Former ACP Masters, Fellows, Members and Physician Affiliates
For physicians who were post-training members of ACP in the past.
ACP Resident/Fellow Members
If you are still in residency or fellowship training:
Request for Reinstatement
If you have completed training:
Apply for Membership
If you previously created an ACP login without prior membership, you may use that login to apply for ACP Membership.
For internists and subspecialists post-training who meet the following requirements:
- Hold a degree of Doctor of Medicine, Bachelor of Medicine, Master of Surgery, or Doctor of Osteopathy.
- Hold a current active medical license and be a physician in practice or other professional pursuit within internal medicine, combination of internal medicine and other related specialties or neurology. The requirement for an active medical license may be waived for candidates not in clinical practice.
- Show evidence of successful completion of residency training in internal medicine, combined internal medicine or neurology, or board certification by the American Board of Internal Medicine, American Osteopathic Board of Internal Medicine.
Physician Affiliate Membership
ACP’s Physician Affiliate membership category is for physicians who do not meet the requirements for full membership in the College. It is important to note that Physician Affiliates are excluded from voting, holding office and attaining Fellowship. Physician Affiliates may serve on ACP committees that have seats allotted for non-members.
Most new Fellows are advanced from current ACP membership. Only full Members who have three years post residency training membership in good standing are invited to complete an application for advancement to Fellowship. Physicians certified in internal medicine who are not currently ACP Members may be eligible for direct election to Fellowship in select circumstances. Direct Fellowship is a singular honor conferred on fewer than five percent of Fellowship applicants and qualifications nearly always include status as an academician or researcher with a national reputation, extensive publications, and an outstanding career.
For current members wishing to advance to Fellowship, please visit our dedicated requirements page.
For non-members wishing to be directly elected to Fellowship, please visit our direct election to Fellowship page.
Learn more about ACP Fellowship.