URGENT: Help your Medicaid patients keep their coverage
Effective 2023, states restarted Medicaid and CHIP eligibility reviews, and millions are at risk of losing their coverage. CMS is working with states and other stakeholders, like ACP, to inform people about renewing their coverage and exploring other available health insurance options if they no longer qualify for Medicaid or CHIP.
You can help by letting your patients know that the Medicaid renewal process has started and what they need to do to keep their coverage. Encourage your patients to:
Update their contact information: Your patients should make sure their Medicaid or CHIP program has their current address, phone number, email, and other contact information. They can visit Medicaid.gov/renewals or call their Medicaid program to update their information or ask for help.
Check the mail: Your patients should check their mail for letters from their Medicaid or CHIP program about their coverage. Encourage your patients to fill out renewal forms and send them to the appropriate agency as soon as they receive them.
If they no longer qualify for Medicaid or CHIP, they may be able to get affordable coverage through the Health Insurance Marketplace. Visit healthcare.gov or call 1-800-318-2596 or 1-855-889-4325 for TTY users for more information.
Medicaid Unwinding Communications Toolkit with resources you can post, print, or share to get the word out about unwinding.
Questions and Answers About Health Insurance Marketplaces and the Affordable Care Act: This document provides information on what’s new with the Affordable Care Act’s coverage provisions, including information about COVID-19-related policies.
Affordable Care Act Issues Physicians Need to Know: This document provides practical information to physicians regarding COVID-19 coverage, provider network adequacy issues, the health insurance appeals process, information about cost sharing, and how physicians can help their patients acquire non-covered drugs.
ACP's Guide to Helping Patients Enroll in Coverage: A one-page document with essential information for patients on open enrollment, where to shop for coverage, and who to ask for help. The document can be printed out or posted to your practice website.
- From Coverage to Care: From Coverage to Care is an initiative designed to help people understand how health insurance works and find the physician or health care professional that's right for them. Resources include videos, educational brochures, and a poster (or posters). Materials are available in English or Spanish.
- HHS Info about Marketplaces: For Professionals | For Patients (English) | For Patients (Spanish)
- Web MD: Health Insurance Checklist
- National Partnership for Women and Families
- Internal Revenue Service: Information on Reporting Income Changes for Premium Tax Credit
- Kaiser Family Foundation