Physician Payment Sunshine Rule
The following information will help you and your staff understand the Physician Payment Sunshine Rule (also referred to as the National Physician Payment Transparency Program), which requires transparency in defined payment relationships with physicians and teaching hospitals by applicable manufacturers and group purchasing organizations.
Open Payments system is scheduled to open for the review and dispute process on April 6, 2015. Physicians will have 45 days to review their 2014 payment data before it becomes public on June 30, 2015. The review process is voluntary, but to participate in the process and review and correct the data, physicians will need to register in both the CMS Enterprise Identity Management System (EIDM) and the Open Payments system.
- CMS Open Payments System Now Available
- Open Payments System General Resources
- Instructions for Physicians on How to Register to Review Payment Information Reported by Industry
- The National Physician Payment Transparency Program (Sunshine Rule): What You Need to Know
- AMA Toolkit for Physician Financial Transparency Reports (Sunshine Act)
- ACP's Brief Summary of the Physician Payment Sunshine Rule
- CMS Physician Payment Sunshine Final Rule
- CMS Physician Payment Sunshine Final Rule Fact Sheet for Physicians
- CMS' Physician Payment Sunshine Rule - Open Payments web site
- Are You Ready for the National Physician Payment Transparency Program?
(A CME activity supported by the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services and delivered by Medscape. A free Medscape registration is required.)
- Mobile App to Track Transfers of Value From Industry
- Medicare Learning Network Article on Open Payments
Learn more about ethical issues in physician relationships with industry.
Prescribe Opioids Safely
Access this FREE online educational program to help you safely prescribe opioids and manage patients with chronic pain. Online CME is available. Find out more.
Inspire the Next Generation of Medicine
Contribute to the ACP Education Fund and support our profession and the young minds starting their careers.
Share your love of medicine by making a charitable donation today! All donations are tax-deductible.