You are here
Top 10 Things You Need to Do for the Quality Payment Program (QPP) under MACRA
Here are the most important things you must do to be successful under the QPP:
Updated April 2018
- Learn about the Medicare Quality Payment Program (QPP), including the two major pathways of the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) and Advanced Alternative Payment Models (APMs), from ACP.
- Check your participation status at https://qpp.cms.gov/.
- Use ACP’s Quality Payment Advisor®, a free ACP member benefit, to determine the best options for you and your practice.
- Implement a formal quality improvement process to maximize your reported MIPS measures. Ensure that your care adheres to accepted clinical guidelines.
- Review your QPP performance feedback report for accuracy and to understand your practice compared to benchmarks. Contact CMS if there are problems.
- Review the list of available Advanced APMs for 2018 to determine if you are or could become a qualifying participant who would receive a 5% lump sum incentive payment. Use the qualifying APM participant (QP) look-up tool.
- Understand the principles of the Patient-Centered Medical Home and begin implementing them in your practice. The ACP Practice Advisor® tool can help.
- Participate in a “medical neighborhood” and provide care coordination to reduce unnecessary office visits and testing. The ACP High Value Care Coordination (HVCC) Toolkit is a helpful resource.
- Empanel and risk-stratify your patient population. Implement chronic care management for those at high risk for hospitalization or ER visits. The ACP Practice Advisor® tool has modules that can assist with this activity.
- Become educated on ACP’s High Value Care recommendations and implement them in your practice to prevent unnecessary testing and procedures.