You are here
MACRA and the New Quality Payment Program
The Quality Payment Program (QPP) was created by the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) of 2015. The QPP transforms the Medicare physician payment system from one focused on volume to one focused on value.
Featured CMS released the final rule on Oct. 14, 2016. Read ACP's statement on the final rule. Additionally, you can read ACP's detailed analysis and comments on the final rule.
Questions and Answers
Q: What is MACRA?
A: The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 was signed into law on April 16, 2015. The law eliminated the... more
Q: What is the Quality Payment Program?
A: The April 27, 2016, Notice of Proposed Rule Making (NPRM) establishes the framework of the new Quality Payment Program... more
Q: Does this program apply to me?
A: This program applies to clinicians that receive Medicare Part B payments. If you are (1) in your first year of participation in... more
Quality Payment System Basics
MACRA, known as the Quality Payment Program (QPP), replaces the old volume-based payment system with a new system based on quality and value. The QPP begins in 2019 (based on performance in 2017) and will be phased in over several years.
QPP/MACRA Explained (January, 2017)
Making Sense of MACRA (September, 2016)
- Physician Quality Reporting System (PQRS): Stay up to date with quality reporting measures, requirements, and deadlines.
- Meaningful Use: Providing financial incentives to eligible professionals as they adopt and demonstrate "meaningful use" through improved quality, safety, and efficiency of patient care.
- Physician & Practice Timeline®: A helpful summary of upcoming important dates related to a variety of regulatory, payment, and delivery system changes and requirements.
- Transforming Clinical Practice Initiative: Tools and resources to support clinicians and practices transform from volume-based to value-based, patient-centered care.
- The Genesis Registry®: A specialized clinical data registry helping providers meet the 2016 public health reporting requirement.
- ACP Practice Advisor®: Helping clinician practices improve patient care, organization, and workflow through web-based interactive modules that focus on continuous quality improvement activities and care delivery transformation.
MACRA News from ACP
- ACP Statement on MACRA Final Rule (Oct 14, 2016)
- ACP Statement on CMS Outline of Positive Changes to MACRA (Sep 9, 2016)
- MACRA Solutions versus MACRA Rants (ACP Advocacy Blog, June 27, 2016)
- Internists Offer Practical Alternatives to Simplify Implementation (June 27, 2016)
- Relax, it's only MACRA (ACP Advocacy Blog, May 19, 2016)
- Positioning Your Practice for Alternative Payment Models (ACP Internist, Feb. 2016)
- Positioning Your Practice for a New Payment System (ACP Internist, Jan. 2016)
- ACP's Recommendations to Congress about Implementing the New Payment System (The ACP Advocate, Dec. 4, 2015)
- What You Should Know About Alternative Payment Models (ACP Advocate, June 12, 2015)
- What to Expect in the Post-SGR Era (ACP Advocate, May 8, 2015)
- ACP's Detailed Analysis and Comments on Final Rule
- ACP Comment Letter to CMS on MACRA Proposed Rule
- What Do Internists Need to Know About MACRA
- Crosswalk Analysis of MACRA
- ACP Responses to CMS Requests for Information (RFI):
For more information or questions or concerns regarding specific MACRA-related issues, email email@example.com.
We also encourage you to discuss MACRA with your colleagues in the
Member Forum on MACRA.