You are here
MACRA and the New Quality Payment Program
The Quality Payment Program (QPP) was created by the Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act (MACRA) of 2015. The QPP transforms the Medicare physician payment system from one focused on volume to one focused on value.
Questions and Answers
Updated March 2017
Q: What is MACRA?
A: The Medicare Access and CHIP Reauthorization Act of 2015 was signed into law on April 16, 2015, and became final in October 2016... more
Q: What is the Quality Payment Program?
A: The Quality Payment Program (QPP) is the name for the Medicare Part B physician payment system that was established by the MACRA law... more
Q: What are the different payment tracks in MACRA?
A: Starting in 2017 physicians will begin participating in either the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) or... more
Quality Payment System Basics
MACRA, known as the Quality Payment Program (QPP), replaces the old volume-based payment system with a new system based on quality and value. The QPP begins in 2019 (based on performance in 2017) and will be phased in over several years.
ACP's Quality Payment Program Resources (March, 2017)
Making Sense of MACRA (March, 2017)
Navigating the Quality Payment Program
ACP's Quality Payment Advisor: A free benefit of ACP membership, the Quality Payment Advisor™ is an online tool that helps clinicians navigate CMS' Quality Payment Program. Answer a few simple questions about your practice and this tool will deliver a readiness assessment report that gives you the best chance possible to succeed in the new payment program.
- Meaningful Use: Providing financial incentives to eligible professionals as they adopt and demonstrate "meaningful use" through improved quality, safety, and efficiency of patient care.
- Physician & Practice Timeline®: A helpful summary of upcoming important dates related to a variety of regulatory, payment, and delivery system changes and requirements.
- Transforming Clinical Practice Initiative: Tools and resources to support clinicians and practices transform from volume-based to value-based, patient-centered care.
- The Genesis Registry®: A specialized clinical data registry helping providers meet the 2016 public health reporting requirement.
- ACP Practice Advisor®: Helping clinician practices improve patient care, organization, and workflow through web-based interactive modules that focus on continuous quality improvement activities and care delivery transformation.
MACRA News from ACP
- ACP Statement on MACRA Final Rule (Oct 14, 2016)
- ACP Statement on CMS Outline of Positive Changes to MACRA (Sep 9, 2016)
- MACRA Solutions versus MACRA Rants (ACP Advocacy Blog, June 27, 2016)
- Internists Offer Practical Alternatives to Simplify Implementation (June 27, 2016)
- Relax, it's only MACRA (ACP Advocacy Blog, May 19, 2016)
- Positioning Your Practice for Alternative Payment Models (ACP Internist, Feb. 2016)
- Positioning Your Practice for a New Payment System (ACP Internist, Jan. 2016)
- ACP's Recommendations to Congress about Implementing the New Payment System (The ACP Advocate, Dec. 4, 2015)
- ACP comments re CMS Episode-Based Cost Measure Development for MACRA/QPP
- ACP's Detailed Analysis and Comments on Final Rule
- ACP Comment Letter to CMS on MACRA Proposed Rule
- What Do Internists Need to Know About MACRA
- Crosswalk Analysis of MACRA
- ACP Responses to CMS Requests for Information (RFI):
For more information or questions or concerns regarding specific MACRA-related issues, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also encourage you to discuss MACRA with your colleagues in the
Member Forum on MACRA.