You are here
Patients Before Paperwork
Patients Before Paperwork is an ACP initiative designed to reinvigorate the patient-physician relationship by challenging unnecessary practice burdens.
Download the Patients Before Paperwork Infographic
What You Can Do to Help
To help the Patients Before Paperwork initiative, you can provide your feedback with our new online data collection tool. This tool is a means for physicians to communicate administrative pain points with ACP staff, share best practices and innovative ideas with each other, and help inform the creation of additional tools and services. Entries will be added to the Administrative Tasks and Best Practices Library.
- Tell us about your ideas to address administrative tasks.
- Send in specific examples or vignettes explaining how these tasks have had an impact on your ability to care for a patient.
- And finally, how can ACP best serve you to address these issues?
You may also contact us directly at email@example.com or discuss these issues in the Member Forum on Promoting Physician Well-being and Professional Satisfaction (ACP Membership required).
What ACP Is Doing
Since the launch of ACP's Patients Before Paperwork initiative in 2015, the College has worked to identify and prioritize the most burdensome administrative tasks faced by ACP members and their patients; develop significant policy recommendations for how to address these administrative tasks; and engage in ongoing outreach and stakeholder engagement efforts with external sources of administrative and regulatory burden.
Policy Development and Education
- "Promoting Transparency and Alignment in Medicare Advantage," American College of Physicians, published October 2, 2017.
- “Putting Patients First by Reducing Administrative Tasks in Health Care: A Position Paper of the American College of Physicians,” Annals of Internal Medicine, published online first March 28, 2017.
- "Clinical Documentation in the 21st Century," Annals of Internal Medicine, published online first February 17, 2015.
Tools and Services Offered by ACP
- Reducing Administrative Burden Basics – slides and handouts that can be used at local ACP Chapter meetings and educational opportunities
- Two-Pager on Reducing Administrative Tasks - Updated January 2018
- Power Point Presentation - Overview of PB4P, Policy Recommendations, and Action Plan - Updated January 2018
- ACP Practice Advisor® - modules can help with achieving recognition as an alternative payment model (e.g., PCMH, PCMH-specialty practice), quality improvement work, and practice management.
- Quality Payment AdvisorSM - a resource to help clinicians navigate CMS' new value-based payment system, the Quality Payment Program (QPP).
- ACP Physician & Practice Timeline® - summary of upcoming important dates related to a variety of regulatory, payment, and delivery system changes and requirements; sign up for text alerts from the Timeline by texting ACPtimeline (no space) to 313131 from your mobile phone.
- AmericanEHR - educational and informational resources contributed by ACP and partners concerning EHRs, from selection to implementation, and health IT.
- High Value Care Coordination Toolkit - provides resources to facilitate more effective and patient-centered communication between primary care and subspecialist doctors.
- ACP Website - Practice Resources section - resources address:
Advocating for Internists: Feedback to Regulatory Agencies, Congress, and Other Key Stakeholders
ACP collaborates with key regulatory agencies, including CMS and ONC, to update regulations and policies to reduce excessive administrative tasks.
Comments and Responses to Regulatory and Legislative Requests
- ACP Letter to Rep. Schweikert Regarding the Standardizing Electronic Prior Authorization for Safe Prescribing Act
- ACP Statement before the W&M Subcommittee on Health Medicare Red Tape Relief Project Roundtable
- Fee Schedule Letter
- Quality Payment Program Letter
- Ways and Means Letter
- Comments on CY19 Medicare Advantage and Part D Proposed Rule
Direct Outreach to Relevant Organizations
- ACP Recommendations for CMS' Patients Over Paperwork Initiative
- ACP Feedback to CMS Regarding Meaningful Measures Initiative
- Letter to CMS Supporting "Patients Over Paperwork" and "Meaningful Measures" Initiatives
- Letter to Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services
- Letter to Office of the National Coordinator for Health IT
- Letter to America’s Health Insurance Plans
- Letter to Blue Cross Blue Shield Association
- Letter to HIMSS Electronic Health Record Association
- Letter to Medical Device Manufacturers Association
- Letter to Medicare Payment Advisory Commission
- ACP Thank You to CMS for Comments at HIMSS18