Oct. 1, 2015, is the compliance deadline for ICD-10 implementation. ACP strongly urges practices to continue work toward implementation by October 1, 2015. Claims testing is one of the most critical ways by which practices can prepare. End-to-end testing allows practices to submit test claims and receive a remittance advice back from the payer(s). Ideally, all practices should conduct end-to-end testing with all payers well before the deadline. Front-end testing (where practices can send test claims and receive a simple acknowledgment of receipt back) is available with CMS at any time until the compliance date. End-to-end testing weeks will occur in January, April, and June. All testing should be scheduled through your MAC.
In an effort to help member practices transition as smoothly as possible, ACP partnered with ICD-10 content developers to make the following resources available at discounted rates for ACP members:
TurboCoder: Discounted prices for ACP members. TurboCoder is a downloadable coding resource that looks and feels like the code books with which you are familiar, but on your laptop. It quickly and easily searches words or codes in either ICD-9 or ICD-10 and seamlessly crosswalks back and forth as needed. This off-line tool allows you to code in the ICD-9-CM and immediately view the potential equivalent ICD-10-CM code(s) and vice versa. (Available only for Windows at this time.) Order TurboCoder (ACP Members). Order TurboCoder (Non-members).
AHIMA’s Clinical Documentation Training: Discounted prices for ACP members. This interactive, online, and self-paced training addresses the documentation needed by clinicians to support ICD-10 CM/PCS coding specificity. Written by physicians, coding and documentation improvement (CDI) specialists, and medical coding experts, this web-based program provides relevant and targeted clinical documentation training and support for physicians, clinicians, and physician practices. Order AHIMA’s Clinical Documentation Training.
Use code ACP-MEM00HFGDI3.
Ready10: Discounted prices for ACP members. Ready10 is a project management software system which guides users step-by-step through learning, planning, organizing, implementing, and analyzing the ICD-10 transition. It works as a task driven "virtual consultant" and includes tools such as budgets, code conversion software, organization surveys, and impact assessments needed for a successful transition. View a short demo. Order Ready10.
ICD-10 Documentation Training for Physicians: The American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) designed these videos (3 hours total) to teach the ICD-10-CM documentation requirements to physicians. Conditions for 21 different specialties are addressed with emphasis on documentation and coding requirements to maximize reimbursement. The videos include case examples for top clinical conditions. Discounted to members. CME is available. Order ICD-10 Documentation Training for Physicians.
ICD-10 Books: Reviewed and recommended by ACP (member discount available). Order ICD-10 Books
Road to 10: CMS has released this free online implementation tool to help small medical practices jumpstart their ICD-10 transition, including specialty-specific codes and a customizable action plan for your practice.
Commonly Used ICD-10-CM Codes: This list of commonly used diagnoses can be printed out and used in your practice. Laminated versions are available at Internal Medicine and chapter meetings.
FAQs: "I don't always know the diagnosis until testing has been completed. Will unspecified codes be denied?" This and other questions are answered on the FAQs page.
Resources for the what, why, and how of using ICD-10 code sets.
- ICD-10 Basics for Medical Practices
- ICD-10 Key Target Dates, Deadlines, and Resources
- Basics for Small and Rural Practices
- ICD-10 Myths and Facts
- What is ICD-10? FAQ’s
- ICD-10-CM Primer
- Anatomy of an ICD-10-CM Code
- ICD-10: Now Is the Time
- General Equivalence Mappings (GEMS) FAQs
- ICD-10-CM Coding Corner
- Staying on Track for ICD-10
- ICD10 Doesn't Have to be Intimidating (November / December 2013)
- 10 Myths Busted about ICD-10 Implementation (October 2013)
- Begin to apply ICD-10 in real-life practice (June 2013)
- ICD-10 Advice (March 2013)
- Will You Be Ready for ICD-10? (October 2012)
- ICD-10 books, reviewed and recommended by ACP (member discount available)
Tools and resources to help implement ICD-10-CM in practice.
- Online Implementation Guide - This interactive step-by-step guide walks small, medium, and large practices through the steps from planning, testing, and full implementation of ICD-10-CM.
- Transitioning to ICD-10 - This recorded webinar, presented by the CMS Philadelphia Regional Office, provides an excellent overview and road map for implementation (31 min)
- ICD-10-CM for the Paper Practice
- Communicating with Your Payers
- Talking to Your Vendors about ICD10
- Questions to Ask Your Systems Vendor
- The Role of Clearinghouses in the ICD-10 Transition
- ICD-10 Books
- ICD-10 2014 General Equivalence Mappings (GEMs)
- Provider Office Changes
- Sample Assessments for Technology Vendors, Billing Service, Payers, and Clearinghouses
- Sample Super Bill 1
Small to Medium Practices
- Checklist for Small to Medium Practices
- Timeline for Small to Medium Practices
- The Small Physician’s Route to ICD-10 - Implementation Guide
Where to find high-quality, low or no-cost training for clinicians and staff.
- ICD-10 Coding Basics - This free video from CMS provides a basic introduction to ICD-10 coding, including comparing ICD10 to ICD9, structure, how to use the new system, and examples. (26 minutes).
- ICD-10-CM Overview – This brief 5-minute video, which is part of the Coding 101, explains the origin and structure of the ICD-10-CM codes.
- Documentation Concepts for IM/FP - This free video provides training focused on unique aspects of ICD-10 for internal medicine and family practice. Examples include the documentation requirements for several common conditions, documentation changes and new concepts, and the use of “unspecified” codes in ICD-10 (45 minutes)
- CMS Videos - These short videos explain key ICD10 concepts
- CMS Podcasts - CMS participates in the ICD-10 Monitor’s Talk Ten Tuesday podcasts
- Medscape CME Modules - "CMS, through Medscape Education, developed these two ICD-10 video lectures and an expert article providing practical guidance for the ICD-10 transition."
There are many organizations that offer training in a wide variety of formats for a wide variety of prices. The following organizations offer high quality training for reasonable prices.
ICD-10 Resources by Source
The following entities provide excellent ICD-10-CM and PCS coding resources, some of which is included above, for all types of organizations and all types of personnel, much of which is available for free and some for a fee.
- CMS ICD-10 Resources
- American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) – Training resources for physicians and office staff from the American Association of Professional Coders. (Live and on-line training available for a fee as well as coding assessments.)
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) – The American Health Information Management Association offers training and implementation resources in both ICD-10-CM and PCS.
- AMA's ICD-10 Resources
- PhysiciansPractice – This commercial site has a wide variety of articles from their journal as well as videos and other resources (free registration required).
Multimedia Learning Resources
Earn CME Credits
Earn CME Credits through attending live meetings, working online, or watching course recordings on your own schedule.
What will you learn from your Annals Virtual Patient?
Annals Virtual Patients is a unique patient care simulator that mirrors real patient care decisions and consequences. CME Credit and MOC Points are available. Start off with a FREE sample case. Start your journey now.
Internal Medicine Meeting 2015 Live Simulcast!
Unable to attend the meeting this year? On Saturday, May 2, seven sessions will be streamed live from the meeting. Register for the simulcast and earn CME credit after watching each session. Watch it live or download for later viewing.