You are here
Optimizing Pain Management in an Era of Opioid De-escalation: ACP Virtual Live 2021
On October 5, 2021, ACP is presenting a one-day virtual course designed to highlight best practices in treating and managing pain, a condition that affects millions of patients every year. Expert faculty will discuss various treatment modalities such as non-pharmacologic, non-opioid pharmacologic, and opioids, and will provide information about getting started to prescribe buprenorphine. The role of medical cannabis in pain management will be covered, as well as opioid use disorder and tapering. Practical steps for developing a pain management plan and engaging patients and families in pain management will be shared. You will be able to pose questions to the presenters.
In This Course, Registrants Will:
- Engage patients and their families in shared decision-making and goal setting to select multimodal treatments that are best suited to their specific pain situation.
- Recognize when and which non-pharmacologic interventions such as therapeutic exercise, physical modalities, manual therapy and behavioral and mind-body therapies are indicated for pain management.
- Identify specific drug classes that work for specific types of pain control and be able to select an appropriate drug class given the patient’s pain type, pain acuity, and other factors such as comorbidities and other medications.
- Review the role of medical cannabis in pain management.
- Learn when it is appropriate to prescribe opioids for pain, how to start them in opioid-naïve patients, and how to adjust them when needed.
- Identify common signs, symptoms, and complications of opioid intoxication, overdose, and withdrawal and learn how to treat OUD.
- Understand how to begin prescribing buprenorphine in your practice.
- View the schedule for Optimizing Pain Management in an Era of Opioid De-escalation: ACP Virtual Live 2021
- Disclosure List
Benefits of Attending
- Earn CME/MOC
- Exposure to a wide range of pain management therapies
- Live Q&A with experts
- Learn from the comfort of your home or office
- October 5, 2021
- ACP Members: FREE
- Nonmembers: $250
Ann Garment, MD, FACP
NYC Health + Hospitals / Bellevue | NYU Grossman School of Medicine
The American College of Physicians is accredited by the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME) to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
The American College of Physicians designates this live activity for a maximum of 6 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)™. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
Successful completion of this CME activity, which include participation in the evaluation component, enables the participant to earn up to 6 MOC points in medical knowledge in the American Board of Internal Medicine’s (ABIM) Maintenance of Certification (MOC) program. Participants will earn MOC points equivalent to the amount of CME credit claimed for the activity. It is the CME activity provider’s responsibility to submit participant completion information to ACCME for the purpose of granting ABIM MOC credit.
To watch an event on Livestream, please ensure you have the following:
- System Requirements: Windows 7 or higher, Mac OS X 10.6 or higher
- Supported desktop browsers:
- Google Chrome 45+
- Mozilla Firefox 49+
- Safari 10+
- Microsoft Edge 15+
- Supported mobile browsers: Chrome 45+, Safari 10+ (iOS)
- Internet Connection: 5-10mbps download speed is recommended. Check your connection at www.speedtest.net.
Refund/Cancellation Policy for Courses
To request a refund for IM Board Review Courses, please refer to ACP's Refund/Cancellation Policy for Courses.
This course is supported through an independent education grant funded by Pfizer, Inc., in partnership with Lilly USA, LLC.