Updated for 2023
ACP's High Value Care (HVC) curriculum helps train physicians to be good stewards of limited health care resources. Residents can complete self-paced interactive cases on high value care topics prior to group discussions. After each case, resident educators can easily facilitate group sessions by downloading ready-to-use slide decks in 5 different areas of high value care.
The curriculum can be completed in five hours and includes facilitator's notes and a robust collection of online cases and other resources to help faculty and program directors deliver the content to their learners in the most effective way possible.
Access the online cases and download the slides for each high value care topic area below.
Access is free, but an ACP account is required for the cases. Please register for your free account and then log in to before accessing the cases.
1. Eliminating Health Care Waste and Over-Ordering of Tests
2. Costs and Payment Models
3. High Value Diagnostic Testing
4. High Value Hospitalization
5. Overcoming Barriers to High Value Care
This toolbox includes a retrospective, pre-post survey that you can ask your residents to complete to assess the effectiveness of the curriculum. In addition, tools to help faculty and program directors assess competence in high value care milestones are provided. Examples include a high value care educational prescription, a framework for fellow audit and feedback in high value care, a high value care conversation guide, and a tool to assess high value care teaching on rounds.
- Assessing HVC Milestones
- Sample Resident Evaluation Form HVC Milestones
- HVC Educational Prescription
- HVC Audit and Feedback
- HVC Critical Appraisal Economic Analysis
- HVC Presentation #6 Sample HVC QI Slideshow
- HVC Presentation #6 Teachable Moments JAMA Internal Medicine
- HVC Presentation #6 Sample HVC QI Poster
- HVC Presentation #6 Sample 2 HVC QI Poster
- HVC Presentation #6 Sample HVC QI Report
Provide feedback on the curriculum or share your quality improvement presentations by contacting Daisy Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lead Curriculum Authors
- Donna Williams, MD, Associate Professor, Wake Forest School of Medicine
- Amit K. Pahwa, MD, SFHM, Associate Professor of Pediatrics and Medicine, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- ACP Staff: Cynthia D. Smith, MD, FACP, Chief Membership and Engagement Officer