Physician Well-being and Professional Fulfillment
Providing guidance and resources that foster communities of well-being for internal medicine physicians to best serve patients and optimize professional fulfillment.
Improving the Practice and Organizational Environment
Providing ACP members with high quality information, resources, tools, and support to help their practices thrive in the growing value-based payment environment.
Fostering Local Communities of Well-being
Trained ACP Well-being Champions supporting their ACP chapter members, practices, and organizations in combating burnout.
Promoting Individual Well-being
Offering online resources and educational courses at ACP’s Internal Medicine Meeting and chapter meetings to help ACP members manage issues related to well-being and satisfaction.
- ACP’s I.M. Emotional Support Hub & Video Series
- Advocacy Toolkit: Modernizing License and Credentialing Applications to Not Stigmatize Mental Health
- Action Alert Ask your Legislators to Expand Physician Workforce, Improve Patient Access, Promote Health Equity, and Reduce Health Burden
- New Send nominations for the ACP Award for Outstanding Contributions to Improving Well-being and Professional Fulfillment in Internal Medicine. Learn more about the award.
- NewMini but Mighty Skills for Well-being
- Financial Well-being Program
- Mobile-friendly Microlearnings for Resident Well-being
- Check out IMpower for Resident Well-being Resources
- Check out Student Well-being Resources
COVID-19 Well-being Resources
ACP would like to take a moment to acknowledge your dedication to the well-being of your patients, your colleagues, and yourselves during this incredibly stressful time. You are the heart and soul of our profession and we are grateful for the sacrifices that you make every day to serve your patients. If you are feeling afraid or isolated right now, please know that you are not alone. Our Internal Medicine online community is strong and vibrant. Join us on Twitter using #dontworryalone or post on the COVID-19 ACP member discussion forum.
Taking care of ourselves and encouraging others to practice self-care sustains our ability to care for those in need. Protect your health and well-being with these resources. For emergency care, call 911.
ACP is committed to doing everything possible to prevent and slow the spread of COVID-19 virus to ensure that our patients get the care they need. These resources are meant to assist internal medicine physicians seeking to prepare and manage their response.
- CME-Eligible ACP Well-being Resources
- Resources for Healthcare Worker Wellbeing during COVID-19: ChristianaCare’s Center for WorkLife Wellbeing team is hosting a list of global wellness resources available to the public. Please add to the list as appropriate.
- National Academy of Medicine Resources to Support the Health and Well-being of Clinicians During the COVID-19 Outbreak
- American Psychological Association: COVID-19 SELF CARE RESOURCES FOR HEALTHCARE PROFESSIONALS contains a series of printable posters to support health care workers. Tips are focused on science-based strategies to mitigate stress.
- Annals of Internal Medicine publication: When the Dust Settles: Preventing a Mental Health Crisis in COVID-19 Clinicians
- Center for the Study of Traumatic Stress COVID-19 Pandemic Response Resources
Improving the Practice and Organizational Environment
ACP provides members with high quality information, resources, tools, and support to help your practices thrive.
Use these resources to implement and sustain change efforts.
Explore these tools to create a well-being program tailored to any organization’s needs and budget.
Use these interventions in your practice to reduce burnout and promote a culture of well-being.
These tips and tools can help to enhance workflows in both ambulatory and hospital settings.
Check out these resources for additional strategies to prevent burnout and promote well-being at the practice level.
Modernizing License and Credentialing Applications to Not Stigmatize Mental Health
Use this resource toolkit to advocate for organizations and state medical boards to change or remove inappropriate medical licensing and application questions.
Enhance Your Personal Well-being
You are not alone. Use these resources to seek help or to improve your individual well-being.
Navigate your financial future with ACP’s tools and resources to help you plan and make wise financial decisions.
Taking care of ourselves and encouraging others to practice self-care sustains our ability to care for those in need. For emergency care, call 911.
Use our ACP member forum to discuss physician well-being and professional fulfillment, and to share experiences and resources.
Check out CME-eligible and other resources, including podcasts and TED Talks, to improve your well-being and professional fulfillment.
Learn about ACP's Ongoing Commitment
ACP's strategy to address this complex issue involves patients, leaders in the field, and a commitment to inclusivity.
This curriculum includes three modules on the topics of well-being and burnout, individual and organizational strategies, and promoting collaborative learning environments for well-being.
ACP's goal is to reduce unessential tasks that detract from patient care and contribute to physician burnout.
Susan Thompson Hingle, MD, MACP, details our organizational approach to this important issue in this column published in ACP Internist.
ACP is committed to addressing the unique challenges female physicians confront in order to foster an inclusive environment.
Publications and Collaborations
Research and background details informing ACP's efforts on your behalf.
ACP works with other organizations to help identify mutually beneficial solutions.
- CMS Patients Over Paperwork and Meaningful Measures
- National Academy of Medicine's (NAM) Clinician Well-Being and Resilience Initiative
- "Implementing Optimal Team-Based Care to Reduce Clinician Burnout," a paper published by the National Academy of Medicine (NAM)