These resources are developed as part of ACP’s I Raise the Rates initiative to assist physicians and their teams to assess, understand and improve adult immunization rates and patient outcomes in their clinical settings.
Stay up to date on the latest pneumococcal and flu vaccine recommendations and learn time-saving tips to make effective vaccine recommendations and boost vaccine confidence.
This guide will provide education and resources to help you implement interventions to promote adult immunizations in your community.
2023 ACIP Adult Immunization Recommendations Updated for 2023
Every member of the healthcare team has a role to play in raising immunization rates. This resource provides tools to facilitate more effective and collaborative immunization referrals among those in your patient's immunization neighborhood.
Get Your FREE Adult Vaccination Rx Pads!
Download this email template and send to your patients to encourage them to get up-to-date with routine immunizations!
Stay up-to-date on the latest vaccine recommendations, guidelines and clinical updates in adult immunization.
- Annals of Internal Medicine: Recommended Adult Immunization Schedule, United States, 2023
- In these videos, Dr. Sandra Adamson Fryhofer, MD, MACP explains the 2022 Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices’ Adult Immunization Recommendations.
- Adult Influenza Immunization Webinar: In this webinar hosted by the New Jersey Immunization Network (NJIN) and sponsored by ACP's I Raise the Rates program, Dr. Margaret "Meg" Fisher, MD, FAAP covers the importance of increasing flu vaccination coverage among adult patients throughout the flu season and identifies best practices to safely administer vaccines during the pandemic. Obtain CME credit.
- COVID-19 Recovery: Increasing Adult Vaccinations Webinar: The COVID-19 pandemic has had a significant impact on routine vaccination rates across all populations in the US. In this webinar, panelists discuss current ACIP recommendations for routine adult and COVID-19 vaccines; the rationale for raising immunization rates among patients with high-risk chronic conditions; and practical strategies to increase vaccination rates in your practices. Obtain CME credit.
- Routine Immunization of People Living with HIV: Why, What and How: Recognizing that people living with HIV (PLHIV) have higher rates of vaccine preventable disease and disease severity compared to HIV negative individuals, this webinar discusses strategies to improve vaccination rates in this population. Presented by Dr. Andrew B. Trotter, MD, MPH.
- Aging and Immunity: The Important Role of Vaccines: This free physician guide provides an understanding of the biological impact of aging on immunity and the value of vaccination as an effective tool in reducing the risk for vaccine-preventable diseases in older adults. Developed by ACP, in partnership with the Gerontological Society of America (GSA) and the American Pharmacists Association (APhA), with funding support from GlaxoSmithKline (GSK).
- Prevention and Control of Seasonal Influenza with Vaccines: Recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices-United States, 2022-23 Influenza Season
- Frequently Asked Influenza (flu) Questions: 2022-2023 Season
- ACIP Vaccine Recommendations and Guidelines
- CDC Vaccine Schedules app - available from iTunes App Store and Google Play.
- Vaccine Information Statement (VIS)
- ACIP Shared Clinical Decision-Making Recommendations
- Measles Clinical Features and Diagnosis: in this video, CDC's Dr. Manisha Patel describes clinical features of measles, how to diagnose it in a patient, and what to do if you suspect you have a case. Includes images of children with measles infection.
- COVID-19 Recovery: Team-Based Care Toolkit: This resource features team-based resources to help physicians, their teams, and their patients optimize team-based care during and after a pandemic. Topic areas include steps to optimal team-based care, effectiveness of team-based care in a pandemic, using telehealth to manage high-risk chronic conditions, informing patients about changes in practice, and sustaining teams and positive changes.
Quality Improvement to Increase Immunization Rates
Learn core quality improvement skills and how to apply them to increase your adult immunization rates in your practice.
- ACP Quality Improvement Leadership Training: Best Practices in Engaging and Empowering Clinical Teams in Continuous Improvement. These training videos provides a step-by-step guidance, based on ACP’s QI approach, to help participants through their QI journey.
- Practical Approaches to Increasing Adult Immunization
- Video 1: Vaccine Conversations: Approaching Patients Who Are Deliberating Vaccinations
- Video 2: Team-based Approach to Increasing Flu Vaccination among Patients with Chronic Diseases
- Video 3: Importance of Getting Vaccinated this Flu Season
- Video 4: Importance of Flu Vaccination during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- ACP Quality Improvement Curriculum is a step-wise approach that guides you through each stage of the QI journey from establishing the “what” and “why” for change to implementing and sustaining change. This online curriculum, developed by physicians for physicians and their teams, is offered as a series of four modules. Physicians who complete this curriculum are eligible for up to 4 AMA PRA Category 1 CreditsTM and ABIM MOC points. Physicians are also eligible to earn patient safety credit.
Vaccine Program Implementation Resources
Access these resources to help support vaccine administration in your practice. including vaccine assessment, implementing standing orders, understanding the business case for vaccines as well as ordering, storage and handling, billing and coding.
- Needle Resource Guide: Addresses questions on types of needles to use, questions to ask supply distributors and contact information for CDC and FDA to report issues or ask technical questions.
- You Call the Shots Vaccine Administration e-Learn: The e-Learn is a free, interactive, online educational program that serves as a useful introductory course or a great refresher on vaccine administration. Continuing education (CE) is available. Visit the You Call the Shots web page to view available modules.
- Comprehensive Vaccine Administration Information: Now is a great time to remind staff members who administer vaccines how to do it right. CDC has developed various tools to share with members of your health care community
Immunization Action Coalition (IAC) Resources
- Immunization Action Coalition-Vaccination (IAC) Step-by Step Guide: Developed by the staff at the Immunization Action Coalition, this guide provides practical information to help you implement or enhance adult immunization services in your healthcare setting. Full guide available for download.
- Coding and Billing for Adult Vaccinations: This webpage developed by the National Adult and Influenza Immunization Summit (NAIIS) provides information on the top questions identified with coding and/or billing for adult vaccinations, scenarios that detail how to go about coding and billing for adult vaccines, and collected resources from the Summit’s medical association, public health, and vaccine manufacturing partners.
- Reasons to Invest in Adult Vaccination Implementation: This document developed by the National Adult and Influenza Immunization Summit (NAIIS) highlight the importance of adult immunization for populations health and discusses both the financial feasibility of adult vaccination implementation and implementation strategies.
Team-Based Approaches to Increasing Immunizations
Increase your practice capacity to raise adult immunization rates and efficiency through involvement of the full healthcare team.
- I Raise the Rates: Community Champion Guide: This guide will provide education and resources to help you implement interventions to promote adult immunizations in your community.
- Practical Immunization Microlearning Resources: Stay up to date on the latest pneumococcal and flu vaccine recommendations and learn time-saving tips to make effective vaccine recommendations and boost vaccine confidence.
- Building QI Team Worksheet
- Increasing Immunization Rates: In this video, Dr. Marie Brown and Sandra R. discuss steps they have incorporated in their intake and rooming process that have resulted in increase immunization rates in their office.
Patient Education Resources
Patient education resources and tools to communicate risks and benefits of immunization, address vaccine myths and misinformation, and empower patients to make informed decisions on their vaccine needs.
- Infographic on where to go to get routine immunizations (pdf|png)
- Poster on the importance of vaccines for older adults
- E-mail template for practices to use to encourage patients to get up-to-date with routine immunizations
- Vaccine Information for Adults
- How to Pay for Vaccines
- Roll Up Your Sleeve for Your Annual Flu Vaccine (video)
- Flu Can Be Very Serious – Flu Vaccine Protects (video)
- What you Need to Know for 2022-2023
- The Difference Between Flu and COVID-19
- Vaccines: Know What You Need
- 3 Important Reasons For Adults to Get Vaccinated
- Protecting your Patients with the new shingles vaccine
- What You Need to Know About Heart Disease and Adult Vaccinations
- What You Need to Know About Diabetes and Adult Vaccinations
Immunization Action Coalition (IAC) Resources
Promotion of Health Equity
Access resources to promote health equity and identify strategies to increase adult immunization rates with specialized training in understanding the barriers to immunizing adults in racial and ethnic minorities.
Access resources to better understand your immunization data as well as the immunization information system (IIS) within a given geographical area.
- CDC Immunization Information Systems (IIS): Resources to meet physicians' IIS needs
- IIS Customizable Brochure: This colorful brochure is targeted at healthcare providers with adult patients to encourage them to onboard and use Immunization Information Systems (IIS). This is a “customizable” brochure into which any state/city health department may insert their own name and logo.
- Basics of IISs (Immunization Information Systems) infographic: An overview of how IISs support and connect patients/consumers, health care professionals, and public health. This downloadable PDF provides a simple visual introduction to how IISs work for people who may not be familiar with IISs, such as policy makers, health care professionals, patients, parents, and even public health staff.
- I Raise the Rates Newsletter Sign-up: Complete the following form to receive a digital copy of the I Raise the Rates monthly newsletter developed in partnership with the New Jersey Immunization Network (NJIN).
- Join the ACP Advance: I Raise the Rates Virtual Community to engage with your peers who are also engaged in increasing adult immunization vaccination coverage, share best practices, lessons learned and stay up to date on new adult immunization resources and ACP’s efforts to increase adult immunization rates.
ACP's I Raise the Rates Program is supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, and Sanofi Pasteur, Inc.
Previous support for the I Raise the Rates program was provided by GlaxoSmithKline, Merck &Co., Inc and Pfizer Inc.