The deadline for ICD-10 is now October 1, 2015. On April 1, 2014, President Obama signed the Protecting Access to Medicare Act of 2014 (HR 4302), which among other things, extended the deadline for ICD-10 by one year. Further delays are not expected so it is important to take advantage of this opportunity to understand and implement ICD-10. As we get more information about how this will play out, we will post it here.
In an effort to help member practices transition as smoothly as possible, ACP partnered with ICD-10 content developers to make the following resources available at discounted rates for ACP members:
ICD-10 Documentation Training for Physicians - This video course (2-3 hrs) developed by AAPC teaches ICD-10-CM documentation requirements at the physician level. Order ICD-10 Documentation Training for Physicians.
ICD-10 Books - Reviewed and recommended by ACP (member discount available). Order ICD-10 Books
Road to 10: CMS has released this free online implementation tool to help small medical practices jumpstart their ICD-10 transition, including specialty-specific codes and a customizable action plan for your practice.
Commonly Used ICD-10-CM Codes: NEW! This list of commonly used diagnoses can be printed out and used in your practice.
FAQs: "I don't always know the diagnosis until testing has been completed. Will unspecified codes be denied?" This and other questions are answered on the FAQs page.
Resources for the what, why, and how of using ICD-10 code sets.
- ICD-10 Basics for Medical Practices
- ICD-10 Key Target Dates, Deadlines, and Resources
- FAQs: ICD-10 Transition Basics
- ICD-10 Myths and Facts
- What Is ICD-10-CM/PCS?
- What is ICD-10? FAQ’s
- CM vs PCS
- ICD-10 Primer
- Anatomy of an ICD-10-CM Code
- General Equivalence Mappings (GEMS) FAQs
- ICD-10-CM Coding Corner
- ICD10 Doesn't Have to be Intimidating (November / December 2013)
- 10 Myths Busted about ICD-10 Implementation (October 2013)
- Begin to apply ICD-10 in real-life practice (June 2013)
- ICD-10 Advice (March 2013)
- Will You Be Ready for ICD-10? (October 2012)
- ICD-10 books, reviewed and recommended by ACP (member discount available)
Tools and resources to help implement ICD-10-CM in practice.
- Limited End-to-End Testing - July 21-25, 2014 - How to Volunteer
- Online Implementation Guide - This interactive step-by-step guide walks small, medium, and large practices through the steps from planning, testing, and full implementation of ICD-10-CM.
- Transitioning to ICD-10 - This recorded webinar, presented by the CMS Philadelphia Regional Office, provides an excellent overview and road map for implementation (31 min)
- Medicare Local Coverage Policies
- Simple Steps to Improve Documentation
- ICD-10-CM for the Paper Practice
- Communicating with Your Payers
- Talking to Your Vendors about ICD10
- Questions to Ask Your Systems Vendor
- Assessing Your Vendors
- The Role of Clearinghouses in the ICD-10 Transition
- ICD-10 Books
- Planning for ICD10 Conversion
- Talking to Your Vendors About ICD-10: Tips for Medical Practices
- ICD-10 2014 General Equivalence Mappings (GEMs)
- Top 50 Codes for Internal Medicine (laminated cards cross-walked to ICD-10-CM available for purchase from AAPC)
- Provider Office Changes
- Sample Super Bill 1
- Sample Super Bill 2
Small to Medium Practices
- Checklist for Small to Medium Practices
- Timeline for Small to Medium Practices
- Implementation Guide for Small to Medium Practice Providers
- Checklist for Large Practices
- Timeline for Large Practices
- Implementation Guide for Large Practice Providers
Where to find high-quality, low or no-cost training for clinicians and staff.
- ICD-10 Coding Basics - This free video from CMS provides a basic introduction to ICD-10 coding, including comparing ICD10 to ICD9, structure, how to use the new system, and examples. (26 minutes).
- ICD-10-CM Overview – This brief 5-minute video, which is part of the Coding 101, explains the origin and structure of the ICD-10-CM codes.
- CMS Podcasts - CMS participates in the ICD-10 Monitor’s Talk Ten Tuesday podcasts
- Medscape CME Modules - "CMS, through Medscape Education, developed these two ICD-10 video lectures and an expert article providing practical guidance for the ICD-10 transition."
There are many organizations that offer training in a wide variety of formats for a wide variety of prices. The following organizations offer high quality training for reasonable prices.
ICD-10 Resources by Source
The following entities provide excellent ICD-10-CM and PCS coding resources, some of which is included above, for all types of organizations and all types of personnel, much of which is available for free and some for a fee.
- CMS ICD-10 Resources
- American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) – Training resources for physicians and office staff from the American Association of Professional Coders. (Live and on-line training available for a fee as well as coding assessments.)
- American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) – The American Health Information Management Association offers training and implementation resources in both ICD-10-CM and PCS.
- AMA's ICD-10 Resources
- AMA on ICD-10: Understanding and Readiness
Learn "What You Need to Know for the Upcoming Transition to ICD-10" in this free AMA white paper (free registration required).
- PhysiciansPractice – This commercial site has a wide variety of articles from their journal as well as videos and other resources (free registration required).
Multimedia Learning Resources
Earn CME Credits
Earn CME Credits through attending live meetings, working online, or watching course recordings on your own schedule.
Have questions about the new ABIM MOC Program?
One Click to Confidence - Free to members
ACP Smart Medicine is a new, online clinical decision support tool specifically for internal medicine. Get rapid point-of-care access to evidence-based clinical recommendations and guidelines. Plus, users can easily earn CME credit. Learn more