Requirements for Advancing to Fellowship
All applicants must meet the basic eligibility requirements for Fellowship. These include:
- Being an ACP member (Associate or Member) in good standing for two years since completion of residency training
- Certification in internal medicine or neurology
- Professional activity in internal medicine, a combined internal medicine specialty, the subspecialties of internal medicine, or neurology
- Experience in practice or in an academic position for two years since the completion of residency
- An active medical license in good standing (if in clinical practice)
- Continuing professional development and scholarly activities, including continuing medical education as a student or teacher
- Teaching (institutional and community-based), hospital committee work, and/or volunteer and community service, especially in the voluntary provision of medical care
In addition to the basic eligibility requirements, there are four activity areas that help determine eligibility for Fellowship. These are not mutually exclusive, and are provided as guidelines. Some candidates are accepted for Fellowship based upon a combination of these types of activities.
Pathway 1 — The Published Academician
Pathway 2 — The Physician with a Commitment to Continuing Education
Pathway 3 — The Active ACP Member
Pathway 4 — The Senior Physician
Questions about eligibility requirements should be directed to the Credentialing Department at 800-523-1546, ext. 2709, or can be e-mailed to FACP@acponline.org.
Log in to My Membership to pay your dues, change your address, and search the Membership Directory.
Recommend ACP Membership to your colleagues and earn a significant discount on your membership dues or even free membership. Help strengthen the voice of internal medicine!