Help Your Patients Enroll in Health Insurance Marketplaces
One of the major ways that the Affordable Care Act (ACA) expands health coverage to millions of uninsured persons is through state-by-state health insurance marketplaces. Since opening in 2013, these marketplaces have helped eligible patients buy individual health insurance plans that they can afford. They provide a web-based platform that enables patients to effectively comparison shop and select the best plan for them and their families. Eligible persons are also able to get tax subsidies to help them afford the plans offered by the marketplaces.
Open enrollment begins on November 15, 2014 and ends on February 15, 2015. A recent Kaiser Family Foundation survey found that most uninsured adults are unaware of the 2015 open enrollment period, the health insurance marketplace, or that financial assistance is available to purchase comprehensive health coverage. To help you help your patients make informed health insurance choices, as well as to answer questions that you might have, the American College of Physicians has put together a series of documents to address questions about the changes in healthcare coverage brought about by the marketplaces.
Open enrollment for 2015 begins on November 15, 2014 and ends on February 15, 2015. Patients who enrolled in a marketplace-based plan in 2014 are encouraged to visit their state's marketplace, update their information as needed, and shop around to determine if a new health plan is a better fit or if they should stay enrolled in their current health plan. This document, 5 Steps to Staying Covered Through the Marketplace, provides patients with information on how to enroll (or renew enrollment) in the plan that is right for them.
The following documents include general information on resources that are available to you and your patients, and answers to frequently asked questions about insurance enrollment. In addition, ACP has also assembled state-specific resources to tell you more about what is happening in your area and help you provide your patients with accurate contact information.
Affordable Care Act Issues Physicians Need to Know: This document provides practical information to physicians and their patients regarding provider network adequacy issues, the health insurance appeals process, information about cost sharing, and how physicians can help their patients acquire non-covered drugs.
ACPís State-by-state Guides to Helping Patients Enroll
Find information about how the insurance marketplace will operate in your state and a resource guide you can give to your patients to help them find the appropriate people to answer their questions about health insurance.
Questions and Answers about Health Insurance Marketplaces and the Affordable Care Act
- ACPís Frequently Asked Questions about Patient Enrollment in Health Insurance Marketplaces
- ACPís Questions & Answers About Physician Concerns on the ACA
ACP Health Insurance Enrollment Comment Center
Have questions or comments about ACA health insurance marketplaces and enrollment? Contact ACP staff at firstname.lastname@example.org to share your thoughts.
- From ACP: An Internistís Practical Guide to Understanding Health System Reform
- From Coverage to Care: From Coverage to Care is an initiative designed to help people understand how health insurance works and find the physician or health care professional that's right for them. Resources include videos and educational brochures and poster. Materials are available in English or Spanish.
- HHS Info about Marketplaces: For Professionals | For Patients (English) | For Patients (Spanish)
- HHS State-by-State Fact Sheets
- Web MD: Health Insurance Checklist
- AARP Health Law Answers Tool, Health Care Reform Guide
- Kaiser Family Foundation
- Consumers Union
- Health Insurance Marketplace
- National Partnership for Women and Families
- Internal Revenue Service: Information on Reporting Income Changes for Premium Tax Credit
- Additional resources available at healthcare.gov
ACP Policies and Recommendations
This library is a collection of ACP's Clinical Guidelines, Ethical Guidelines, Policy Statements, and copies of testimony and letters to government and non-government officials.
The ACP Advocate Blog
Martin Luther King and the Moral Case for Medicaid Expansion
- Tuesday, January 20, 2015
How's that? New GOP-controlled Congress wants to raise the deficit and put more people in government health care?
- Thursday, January 8, 2015
How the Grinch Stopped Obamacare from Coming
- Monday, December 22, 2014
The ACP Advocate Newsletter
The ACA's 2015 Challenges, ACP on Clinical Documentation, and Ending
Site of Service Fees
January 23, 2015
States Tackle Pay Parity & Medicaid Expansion, ACA Programs Helping Cut
January 9, 2015
- ACP Members in Congress and Medicare Payment Cuts on the Horizon
December 19, 2014