Help Your Patients Enroll in Health Insurance Marketplaces
One of the principal ways that the Affordable Care Act (ACA) will expand coverage to millions of uninsured persons is through state-by-state health insurance marketplaces. These marketplaces will help eligible patients buy individual health insurance plans that they can afford. They will provide a web-based platform that will enable patients to effectively comparison shop and select the best plan for them and their families. Eligible persons will also be able to get tax subsidies to help them afford the plans offered by the marketplaces.
Health insurance marketplaces have launched and patients who need coverage will be able to enroll in coverage until March 31, 2014. To help you help your patients determine health insurance choices, as well as to answer questions that you might have, the American College of Physicians has put together a series of documents to address questions about the changes in healthcare coverage brought about by the new marketplaces.
Open Enrollment period ends on March 31, 2014.
The following documents include general information on resources that are available to you and your patients, and answers to frequently asked questions about insurance enrollment. In addition, ACP has also assembled state-specific resources to tell you more about what is happening in your area and help you provide your patients with accurate contact information.
Affordable Care Act Issues Physicians Need to Know: This document provides practical information to physicians and their patients regarding provider network adequacy issues, the health insurance appeals process, information about cost sharing, and how physicians can help their patients acquire non-covered drugs.
ACPís State-by-state Guides to Helping Patients Enroll
Find information about how the insurance marketplace will operate in your state and a resource guide you can give to your patients to help them find the appropriate people to answer their questions about health insurance.
Questions and Answers about Health Insurance Marketplaces and the Affordable Care Act
- ACPís Frequently Asked Questions about Patient Enrollment in Health Insurance Marketplaces
- ACPís Questions & Answers About Physician Concerns on the ACA
ACP Health Insurance Enrollment Comment Center
Have questions or comments about ACA health insurance marketplaces and enrollment? Contact ACP staff at email@example.com to share your thoughts.
- From ACP: An Internistís Practical Guide to Understanding Health System Reform
- HHS Info about Marketplaces: For Professionals | For Patients (English) | For Patients (Spanish)
- HHS State-by-State Fact Sheets
- Web MD: Health Insurance Checklist
- AARP Health Law Answers Tool, Health Care Reform Guide
- Kaiser Family Foundation
- Consumers Union
- The Commonwealth Fund
- Health Insurance Marketplace
- National Partnership for Women and Families
- Internal Revenue Service: Information on Reporting Income Changes for Premium Tax Credit
- Additional resources available at healthcare.gov
- HHS Report: Health Insurance Marketplace Premiums for 2014
- HHS Info: Current Health Insurance Marketplace Premiums Data for 2014
ACP Policies and Recommendations
This library is a collection of ACP's Clinical Guidelines, Ethical Guidelines, Policy Statements, and copies of testimony and letters to government and non-government officials.
The ACP Advocate Blog
The ACP Advocate Newsletter
The Latest on SGR reform and ACA enrollment
March 7, 2014
The State of the Nation's Health Care; Plus, Progress on the SGR
February 21, 2014
Health Care and the State of the Union
February 7, 2014