Benefits for International Physicians
ACP offers a wide range of clinical, educational, and professional benefits. In addition, ACP members receive discounts on a variety of programs, products and services the College offers. Discounts apply based upon type of membership. Join Now
ACP Resources for International Physicians
- Clinical Guidelines
ACP produces highly-respected, evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Recent topics include: Hormonal Testing and Pharmacologic Treatment of Erectile Dysfunction, Screening for HIV in Health Care Settings, and Using Second-Generation Antidepressants to Treat Depressive Disorders. Free to members.
- ACP’s Clinical Skills Program offers a variety of training programs on office-based procedures, physical examinations, and communication skills at ACP's annual Internal Medicine Meeting, or through videos and training modules. Topics include: Clinical Breast Examination, Common Skin Biopsy Techniques, Arthrocentesis and Joint Injection, and more. Clinical Skills training is included in the Internal Medicine Meeting registration, or by purchasing a video at a member discount.
- ACP Smart MedicineSM offers authoritative, evidence-based guidance to improve clinical care. Earn free CME credit using ACP's new clinical decision support tool. Free to members.
- Annals of Internal Medicine, the leading internal medicine journal, publishes original research reviews, clinical guidelines, commentaries, and essays related to the practice of internal medicine. Annals also includes two regular monthly features, In the Clinic, a review of best practices for managing common clinical conditions, and ACP Journal Club which offers reviews of the most clinically relevant and highest quality new studies from more than 130 journals. All members have free online-only access. Full members may receive print versions at an additional membership cost.
- ACP JournalWise is a new mobile-friendly website that helps you stay on top of the medical literature from around the world. You set up your preferences by specialty area, and JournalWise alerts you when important new journal articles are reviewed. The mobile format makes it easy for you to check in whenever you have a few minutes for reading. You can’t read it all, so we do it for you! Free to members.
- ACP Internist & ACP Internist Weekly report on new developments in clinical medicine, practice management, and public policy, along with updates on College initiatives. The Weekly edition is delivered via email every Tuesday. Free online subscription to members.
- ACP Hospitalist & ACP HospitalistWeekly keeps readers current on all aspects of hospital medicine, including: clinical issues, career trends, research, and practice management. The Weekly edition is delivered via email every Wednesday. All members may sign up for a free online subscription.
- ACP Press book titles range from guides for those new to teaching and publishing to detailed instruction for internists selecting an EHR. Many books are available in e-book format. Discount for members.
- MKSAP 16 reinforces the information you know and helps you identify topics that need additional work with over 1,000 pages of syllabus text, and nearly 1,100 multiple-choice questions. Discount for members.
- ACP’s Patient Education Resources include printed HEALTH TiPS that help patients to ask their physician questions related to their conditions, VIDEO HEALTH TiPS, which are short, easy to understand, patient-centered health literate videos, and Everyday Self Management Guides that teach patients how to manage their chronic illnesses. Available to all members. Charges may apply based on quantity ordered.
- In the Clinic Slide Sets
Downloadable slide sets provide practical, evidence-based overviews of common clinical conditions to use to improve your own knowledge or help in your teaching activities. Free to members.
- Teaching Medicine Series
The six-book Teaching Medicine Series summarizes the important literature of medical education and teaching for academic physicians. Discount for members.
- The Internal Medicine Meeting
ACP's annual Internal Medicine Meeting is the premier meeting for the specialty and offers over 200 educational sessions in internal medicine and its subspecialties. Earn CME by attending ACP's annual meeting. ACP members save up to $200 on registration.
- MKSAP® 16
The latest edition of the Medical Knowledge Self-Assessment Program® (MKSAP®) 16 provides you with the most current and critical information in the core of internal medicine so you can stay aware of what you need to know as a practicing physician in internal medicine today. MKSAP 16 is widely considered the go-to source when preparing for the Boards and is also valuable for clinical reference, Available as an 11-book set and a digital format that includes an App so you can now work offline as well as online. For the best value, MKSAP 16 Complete includes the print books, the digital format, Board Basics 3 and 4 MKSAP 16 Online Updates. ACP members receive a substantial discount and save up to $200 off the purchase of MKSAP.
- ACP Leadership Academy
The ACP Leadership Academy provides early career internists with training and resources to prepare them for leadership roles in the healthcare setting. In partnership the American College of Physician Executives (ACPE), ACP offers a variety of options for leadership development. Course topics include strategic thinking, financial decision-making, managing physician performance, marketing, ethics, and more. Discount for members.
- Get Published
Submit your work to Annals of Internal Medicine and reach a broader audience of physicians while also enhancing patient care. Articles are subject to a rigorous review process to ensure that the most relevant, influential and credible information is presented.
Fellowship in the American College of Physicians is recognition of dedication to the internal medicine profession, and serves as an acknowledgement of involvement and leadership within the internal medicine community. Full members are eligible to apply.
Awards are presented for a variety of outstanding accomplishments, including: the Herbert S. Waxman Award for Outstanding Medical Student Educator, the Oscar E. Edwards Memorial Award for Volunteerism and Community Service.
Special Interest Groups
Connect with other ACP members through ACP's Special Interest Groups. These members-only groups promote community and networking through lively online discussions. Current groups include Hospital Medicine, Physician Educators, Women in Medicine, and many more. Free and exclusive to members.
- International ACP Chapters & Regions
The College conducts many of its activities through local units called chapters and regions. Chapters are nonprofit, formally structured units of the College. There are over 70 chapters of ACP located in the United States and internationally. In addition to implementing local programs, most chapters hold an annual scientific meeting known as a chapter meeting. Most meetings last from one to three days.
The Board of Governors is ACP's advisory body to the College's policy-making body, the Board of Regents. Masters, Fellows and Members in good-standing, and Associate members after 2-years of membership in good standing, have the opportunity to vote for an ACP Governor to represent his or her concerns and interests. Physician Affiliates and Medical Student Members are not eligible to vote.
ACP chapter meetings provide a forum for updating clinical knowledge and skills, exchanging ideas, discussing issues, and hearing from your local Governor about topics important to you. ACP has international chapters in Brazil, Canada, Central America, Chile, Japan, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, and Venezuela.
International Council (login required)
The International Council provides a direct link between international leadership and the Board of Regents.
The College maintains a volunteerism networking database to enable ACP members involved or interested in volunteerism and community service to connect with each other about volunteer opportunities.
Council of Subspecialty Societies (CSS) (login required)
The CSS addresses matters affecting general internal medicine and its subspecialties.
Reach out to other ACP members through Member Connection, the ACP Member Directory (login required). This searchable directory provides contact information for all ACP members, and access is only available to ACP members.
Join ACP Now:
Read ACP's quarterly newsletter providing a global perspective on internal medicine news and College membership.
Log in to My Membership to pay your dues, change your address, and search the Membership Directory.
Recommend ACP Membership to your colleagues and earn a significant discount on your membership dues or even free membership. Help strengthen the voice of internal medicine!