ACP has international chapters in Brazil, Canada, Central America, Chile, Japan, Mexico, Saudi Arabia, Southeast Asia, Colombia, and Venezuela and our diverse international membership extends across the globe.
Establishing an ACP International Chapter
As of June 30, 2014, almost 12,000 ACP members reside in 140 countries outside the United States, representing 8.5% of ACP's total membership of 141,000. For many years, ACP international chapters have helped the College achieve its mission, i.e., to enhance the quality and effectiveness of health care by fostering excellence and professionalism in the practice of medicine.
Many international ACP members have expressed interest in forming an ACP chapter. Most chapters are created in collaboration with local internal medicine societies. New chapters do not have to be limited to a single country. Rather, they can also include multi-country chapters as long as an acceptable plan is submitted by local Internal Medicine leaders to share leadership responsibilities, host chapter meetings and carry out their ACP duties in a collaborative way.
- A chapter may be established with a minimum of 100 dues-paid Members, Fellows, and Masters.
- A Steering Committee must be established with ACP Fellows who broadly represent various internal medicine groups such as the local internal medicine society, medical schools, and medical training programs.
- The Steering Committee must provide a letter of intent to form a chapter and submit it to ACP Headquarters, attention: James M. Ott, Senior Vice President, International Programs at email@example.com. The letter must describe the quality of education and training in the country and confirm that there is a pool of internists and potential ACP members in the prospective chapter for future growth.
- Several ACP oversight committees as well as ACP's Board of Regents must approve the request to form a chapter.
- The Steering Committee must be prepared to recommend an Interim Governor subject to ACP's approval, who would temporarily lead the chapter. Once the chapter has 200 dues-paid Masters, Fellows, and Members, ACP will hold a Governor's election.
To verify the current number of eligible members needed to establish a chapter in your country or for additional chapter inquiries, please contact:
Senior Administrator and Chapter Liaison, International Programs
MKSAP 16 Holiday Special: Save 10%
Use MKSAP 16® to earn MOC points, prepare for ABIM exams and assess your clinical knowledge. For a limited time save 10% when you use priority code MKPROMO! Order now.
Maintenance of Certification:
What if I Still Don't Know Where to Start?
Because the rules are complex and may apply differently depending on when you last certified, ACP has developed a MOC Navigator. This FREE tool can help you understand the impact of MOC, review requirements, guide you in selecting ways to meet the requirements, show you how to enroll, and more. Start navigating now.