Public Policy & Advocacy
Are you a member of the Rhode Island Medical Society?
If so, use this handy link to contact your State Senators and Representatives
If not, the RI Chapter of the ACP recommends membership in the Rhode Island Medical Society to all Chapter members. More information at http://rimed.org/for-members.asp
Are you aware of the work of the Office of the Health Insurance Commissioner?
Mr. Christopher Koller has been a great friend of physicians and an effective advocate for their patients. More information is available at his office’s website at http://www.ohic.ri.gov/
Other Important Chapter Advocacy Information
If you have any further observations/comments/suggestions, send your feedback to Donna Goodnow, ACP Rhode Island Chapter Administrator.
Where the College Stands on key health policy issues, news and recent policy changes
Visit Legislative Action Center for more information about the new Advocates for Internal Medicine Network (AIMn) and the Richard Neubauer Advocate for Internal Medicine Award.
- Consumer Web site: Affordable Care Act- site provides clear, trusted, concise and understandable information--by state, by timeline, and by different patient characteristics (like small business, under or over age 65).
- An Internist’s Practical Guide to Understanding Health System Reform- practical resource guide for internists on recently-enacted health care reform legislation and the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (PPACA).
- AmericanEHR Partners: an interactive website designed to assist medical practices compare, select, and implement electronic health records.
- The ACP Advocate: bi-weekly, e-newsletter created to provide ACP members with news about public policy issues affecting internal medicine and patient care.
- The ACP Advocate Blog by Bob Doherty
- Legislative Action Center
- Electronic Resolution System - find Chapter Sponsored Resolutions
- Member Advocacy - Other resources to help members advocate ACP policy
- White House Health Reform Web site - useful state-by-state data that highlights the current status of health care and the need for reform this year.
- Project Vote Smart - a comprehensive database that helps you identify federal and state legislators, through a zip code search, and research their positions, voting records, campaign finances, performance evaluations, and even send them an email.
- Public Policy Virtual Library (PPVL) - a repository of ACP's current and historic policies and the Policy Compendium.
Page Updated: 12/19/14