The first Mastership in the College was presented in 1923 to Dr. James M. Anders, who served the College as President for two terms. He was recognized for his extraordinary service to the College and for being one of the most outstanding internists and medical teachers of his day.
ACP Bylaws state that Masters shall be Fellows who have been selected because of “personal character, positions of honor, contributions towards furthering the purposes of the ACP, eminence in practice or in medical research, or other attainments in science or in the art of medicine.” Masters must be highly accomplished individuals. Evidence of their achievements can come from many types of endeavors such as research, education, health care initiatives, volunteerism, and administrative positions. The Master must be distinguished by the excellence and significance of his or her contributions to the field of medicine.
For Mastership, ACP involvement is expected, with rare exceptions. This may include, for example, service to the College in an official capacity, participation in chapter activities, and involvement in the development of College products and educational programs.
Nominating and supporting letters should address:
- Does this nominee exhibit strong personal character?
- Has the nominee held any positions of honor (past/present)?
- In what way has the nominee furthered the cause of ACP: present, past, or future plans?
- Has the nominee attained recognition in the area of medical research, practice, medical education, and volunteerism or healthcare initiatives?
- What are the most significant contributions of this nominee towards the art and science of medicine?
ACP Clinical Shorts
Expert Education on Your Schedule
Short videos deliver highly focused answers to challenging clinical situations seen in practice and are a terrific way to earn CME credit on-the-go. See more.
New: Free Modules from ACP Practice Advisor!
Keep your practice moving in the right direction. ACP Practice Advisor is offering four modules that you and your staff can try for free. Get to know the premier online practice management tool at no risk. Explore the modules.