Guide to Nomination & Supporting Letters
Letters should come from the personal viewpoint and experience of the writer regarding the nominee. They should not simply summarize the curriculum vitae but instead should explain in detail why the individual is worthy. In addition, letters should be from the writer’s perspective and each letter should be unique. Letters should be addressed as follows:
Chair, Awards Committee
American College of Physicians
190 North Independence Mall West
Philadelphia, PA 19106-1572
Please do not contact the Awards Committee Chair directly, either with materials or with inquiries. However, prospective Nominators are encouraged to work with, or inform, the nominee’s local ACP Governor, if applicable. To reach your local ACP Governors, visit the chapter website at www.acponline.org/about_acp/chapters. Please note that many chapters have awards committees that coordinate nominations for that chapter.
All questions may be directed to the Awards Committee Staff Liaison at email@example.com; 800-523-1546, ext. 2714; 215-351-2714.
The Awards Committee emphasizes that all letters on behalf of nominations for ACP Masterships and awards are extremely important. Letters may come from all classes of College membership or from any individual (physician or not) familiar with the nominee. Letters signed by more than one sponsor count as one letter. Please see Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
Letters, when taken together, should address the following topics, especially in relation to the qualifications for a particular award or Mastership. Depending on the award and the nominee, not all of these categories may apply.
Current & Past Positions
- Medical School excellence
- Residency leadership
- First positions
- Original research
- Presentations at national scientific meetings
- Current positions
Contributions to ACP
- Doctor’s Dilemma
- Resident/Fellow member poster contributions
- Chapter councils and committees
- Chapter Leadership
- Chapter Awards
- National committee activity
- Leadership Day contributions
- LEAD Program
- Internal Medicine Week contributions
- MKSAP contributions
- National awards
- Publishing record, including peer reviewed journals, book chapters, and books
- Editorial positions held
- Presentations given nationally and internationally
- Grants obtained
- Breakthrough discoveries
Excellence as a Clinician
- Delivery of care
- Patient advocacy
Educational & Teaching Service
- Student evaluation excellence
- Lecturing skills
- Teaching rounds excellence
- Clinical instruction
- Teaching awards
- Career achievements of former students
National & International Service (not ACP)
- University/medical school committees
- Offices held in other medical organizations
- Contributions to national scientific meetings for other medical organizations
Volunteerism & Community Service
- Free clinics/medical rescue units/shelter work
- Offices held in community organizations
- Disaster relief work
- Delivery of health care to underserved populations
Other Contributions of Note
New Leadership Webinars
The ACP Leadership Academy is offering FREE webinars covering the core tenets of leadership, leadership in hospital medicine, finance, and more.
Join ACP Today!
ACP membership connects you with like-minded colleagues and provides access to a variety of clinical resources, practice tools, and ways to earn MOC and CME.