Awards & Masterships FAQs
1. How do I nominate someone for Mastership or an award?
Please see Responsibilities of the Nominator.
2. Can chapter awardees be nominated for national awards?
Yes. Chapter awardees usually make good nominees for national awards.
3. Who is eligible to be nominated?
Please see the Awards and Masterships Requirements Table, for eligibility relating to specific awards. In general:
- All nominees must be living at the time of consideration.
- The following are not eligible for awards or Masterships*:
- ACP Officers
- ACP Regents
- ACP Governors
- ACP Awards Committee
- ACP Staff
*Exception: Masterships are awarded each year to the outgoing ACP President and Chair of the Board of Regents.
4. Can someone apply directly for Mastership or an award?
No. These honors are conferred by nomination from peers, mentors, and others. One cannot apply or self-nominate.
5. Who can write a supporting letter?
Anyone who knows the nominee may write a supporting letter*. Letters from the nominee’s ACP Governor are encouraged but not required. Letters are often submitted by:
- Former or current trainees (some awards require letters from this group)
*ACP staff involved in the awards process may not nominate nor write supporting letters.
6. What happens if a person is not selected?
A nomination is usually considered for a total of three years.
- The original package of letters is reviewed for the second and third years.
- The Nominator may arrange for the following*:
- Up to two new supporting letters each subsequent year
- An updated CV for each successive year
*Additional materials are not required but may enhance the nomination.
7. Who is responsible for the awards and Mastership process?
The awards and Masterships process is under the jurisdiction of the ACP Awards Committee, which reports directly to the Board of Regents. Implementation is handled by staff in the Membership Division at ACP Headquarters.
8. Who are the recipients of awards and Masterships over the course of ACP’s history?
The complete lists of all Masters and awardees may be viewed on ACP Online, at www.acponline.org/about_acp/history/leaders/.
9. Who do I contact for questions and concerns?
Awards Committee Staff Liaison
800-523-1546 ext. 2714
Please do not contact the Awards Committee Chair directly, either with materials or with inquiries.
10. How do I find out who nominated/supported me?
The process is confidential, and no details can be given to a nominee about supporters. Anyone wishing to contact their own supporters can prepare a memo or general letter, which will be forwarded to the supporters by ACP staff.
1. What are the qualifications for Mastership?
- Currently be a an ACP Fellow
- Be highly accomplished individuals, distinguished by the excellence and significance of their contributions to the field of medicine.
- Be actively involved with ACP
2. What does receiving Mastership entail?
- New Masters are inducted at the Convocation ceremony following their selection
- They receive a special “Master” academic hood during the ceremony.
- After induction, new Masters may use the initials MACP after their name in connection with their professional activities for as long as their membership remains current
- New Masters are considered role models and are encouraged to continue active involvement in the College, especially in their chapter
1. What are the qualifications for awards?
Please see the Awards and Masterships Requirements and Conditions for Eligibility Table.
2. What does receiving an award entail?
- Most* new awardees are expected to participate in the Convocation ceremony at the Annual Meeting following their selection
- They receive an engraved plaque or a similar item during the ceremony
- Most awards also bestow a small honorarium plus reimbursement of travel expenses except:
- The Rosenthal Awards which confers a pre-set monetary award and a plaque
- The Davies Award which confers pre-set monetary award, reimbursement of travel expenses, and a plaque;
- The Loveland Award which confers reimbursement of travel expenses and a plaque.
- In the case of a team or organization receiving an award, the College may only bestow one small honorarium and reimburse the travel expenses of one person.
- Unless otherwise noted, there may only be one recipient per award.
- If an award triggers automatic Mastership, the awardee will receive the compensation associated with the award, not Mastership.
Contact the Awards Committee Staff Liaison at firstname.lastname@example.org for more details about specific awards.
Reviews of the World's Top Medical Journals - FREE to ACP Members!
|ACP JournalWiseSM is mobile optimized with optional email alerts! Get access to reviews from over 120 of the world's top medical journals alerting you to the highest quality, most clinically relevant new articles based on your preferred areas of specialty. ACP Members register your FREE account now!|
New CME Option: Internal Medicine 2014 Recordings
New CME Package
|Includes 75 of the most popular sessions in internal medicine and the subspecialties. Stream the sessions, answer brief quizzes and earn CME credit. See details.|